Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #1931 
Aluyasha

Thanks Jupiter! I just added a light pink lotus flower to the front plant with the big leaves, Melvin loves to sit in the middle of it when he sleeps.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #1932 
hailukah

Here's my tank made over into Walstad stylee.

Specs:

Petco 3 gallon Pet Keeper
Tetra Heater (preset, keeps temp at 76 F)
Coffee Cup
Anubias, Java Fern, Aponegeton Bulbs

I've had the bulbs for about a week in a separate bowl of water, and none of them have gone soft, so I added them to the tank. Tomorrow I might be getting a lilly or ivy cutting from my mother-in-law. I really want something growing out of the tank, hence the low water level and no lid.

The substrate is about 4 pounds of black gravel with a handful of my wife's colorful mix on top of Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil. I've read mixed things about the MGOP. Some people say it shouldn't work (but haven't tried it), and others say it does work (and they're using it).

My Betta has been swimming all over the tank for the last few hours. He's probably getting tired of me changing his environment, but at least now he seems happier.

I'm really anxious to see things growing. In a month I'll post a separate thread showing the progress.
Attached Images

hailukah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #1933 
CrankyFish84

I hope it works out for you ! I'm eager to make a planted tank like that too. I bet he's very happy.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #1934 
Aluyasha

The cup looks real nice Hailukah.
I have seen people use lilly and ivy and also pothos seems pretty popular. I personally would go with the ivy, it is so lush looking.
Great tank reguardless! I like how you have the black gravel and then sprinkled a few coloured gravel pieces on top.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #1935 
hailukah

Thank Y'all.

I just love the colors my wife put together for her gravel. She used Blue Green Mix, Fluorescent, and White. I just didn't want it too bright.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #1936 
Alex09

For your npt you want more rooted plants. Because your water level is rather low I would recommend some bog plants, pothos, peace lily, even dwarf papyrus. You can also put in aquatic plants such as hygrophelia and wisteria. Once they rech the surface of the water they will change to their immersed form and grow up and out of the tank.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #1937 
hailukah

Thanks, for the tips, I'll look into those.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #1938 
Buddha

Buddha's home in progress

He is just a PetSmart orphan, had some serious fin rot, ick, bloated tummy, and fungus growing on him when i talked the manager into letting me have him for free. tank is a bit overstocked, but im going to weed the black tetra's out and add more plants for him in the near future. By the way, if any of you have some low light plants that are available for free i wouldnt mind paying shipping.
Attached Images

Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #1939 
danifacetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
He is just a PetSmart orphan, had some serious fin rot, ick, bloated tummy, and fungus growing on him when i talked the manager into letting me have him for free. tank is a bit overstocked, but im going to weed the black tetra's out and add more plants for him in the near future. By the way, if any of you have some low light plants that are available for free i wouldnt mind paying shipping.
What is that little white thing in the second picture by the bettas face? I love the way the tank looks btw.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #1940 
Buddha

thats a cheap-o freebie snail from petsmart. the tank sits about 4 feet from my sliding glass door and gets a lot of sunshine in the early morning, so i tend to grow a good bit of algea on the sides, the snails do a great job of cleaning it all up, and when they overpopulate the tank i pull a bunch of em out and toss them into my 90g chiclid tank and let my clown loaches feast. Buddha dont mind them much, every once in awhile he will bite one thats on the log. he pretty much claimed that as his.
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank