Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #2181 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
Your tank looks amazing Alex. I bought some java fern a few weeks back, I didnt realise at the time but they had all black spots over them and their only getting worse :( I don't know why I torture myself with this thread haha Those photographs are amazing too
Do they have baby plants growing the tips? If so then dont throw it out. Or if the babies re big enough, you can gently pull them out and glue it to a porous rock or wood. It will take several months but they will grow :P Maybe the mother plant never managed to adjust to your water? Anyways, java ferns tend to prodice tons of babies when they are dying - its a survival mechanism.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #2182 
azhwi

Alucard's Lagoon

The sales guy guessed that the tank was 7 gallons, but it came with a 5 gallon Elite Stingray filter - so the factory must be telling me it's 5.

In any case, if Alucard decides to jump, he's going to have to clear a 2" hurdle. Which, just to prove himself, he may just do.

Right now I'm concentrating on getting Alucard used to his new digs. I just bought that set up today. The Betta himself has only been with me for three days, so he's skittish with everything.

The stingray is running in the larger older cycled tank right now. Hopefully after a few weeks it will have accumulated enough bacteria that I can transfer it over. I think I will steal the BioMax filter insert from there and plop it into the smaller 5 gallon. Hopefully that will help.

In any case, cycling a 5 gallon won't be too hard. I just have to keep an eye on the ammonia and the nitrate levels on a daily basis.

Bonus! The tank is hidey-hole enough that I've lost sight of my betta twice. And he likes the pirate skull!
Attached Images

azhwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #2183 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Do they have baby plants growing the tips? If so then dont throw it out. Or if the babies re big enough, you can gently pull them out and glue it to a porous rock or wood. It will take several months but they will grow :P Maybe the mother plant never managed to adjust to your water? Anyways, java ferns tend to prodice tons of babies when they are dying - its a survival mechanism.
They do actually, I was wondering what those things were on the tips, a pretty weird place to be growing babies haha
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #2184 
RiaLurvsFeesh

This is my new betta i just got (: he's in a temp home till i get my 20 gal up and running again ): idk what to name him tho! hes soooo pretty~~ red and blue and kind of pink. any suggestions?
RiaLurvsFeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #2185 
HarleyRigid

The new and improved Rock-Vegas

I won the auction on ebay and tomorrow I am going to pick up Rockys new digs. Just a little excited. Its a kit type with filter/pump and light all in the lid. Comes with the stand, some chems and some ornaments to keep Rocky comfortable till I customise the interior for him. All 2nd hand (but in good condition) so got it all for $120 Australian.
Attached Images

HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #2186 
Aluyasha

I am sure Rocky will love it! How many gallons is that?
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #2187 
HarleyRigid

34 Litres which works out at 8.98 Gallons. A nice change from his pet shop assured 1/2 Gallon vase.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #2188 
Aluyasha

He is really going to love that then. I upgraded one of my Bettas from a 1 gallon to a 5 gallon and he is still zooming around. :)
I am sure Rocky will never get over how much room he will have when he gets in there!
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #2189 
HarleyRigid

The new and improved Rock-Vegas

Got Rock-Vegas assembled and cycling. Using the shrimp method hence the white media bag dangling in the tank. This is my first aquarium and therefor my first cycle. Think I got it right. Set up my tank... substrate, decos and plants. Treated tap water to remove chlorine etc, Couldn't find a 'shrimp' so I figured a good old raw Aussie prawn was close enough, bagged up n dropped in. Added some conditioner as per instructions on container, new filter cartridges (its a second hand tank and filter and I don't know how long its been dry or where it was stored so I thought it better to start with fresh gear) then seeded from a bottle of shop bought cycle starter. Got lights, heater and filter running. Just gotta duck into my local shop tomorrow to get a water test kit. Got one with the tank but didn't realise till I got home and got to work setting up that it was a ph test kit only. Oh well... another excuse to go 'shopping' lol
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 AM   #2190 
HarleyRigid

Could anyone help me out identifying my plants? Girl in shop wasn't sure of the names of the plants or what they were suited to so I bought for looks only lol

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank