Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #2391 
boro

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonCowgirl View Post
I would watch that green/white plant in the corner. Its not true aquatic plant and will rot
Don't worry...that one is fake. It's a pretty convincing fake though.
boro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #2392 
WashingtonCowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boro View Post
Thanks everyone!

Don't worry...that one is fake. It's a pretty convincing fake though.
Really? Wow! I would have never guessed it was fake! That's crazy :p
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #2393 
Arowan

Here's my 5gallon hawkeye, home to one double-tail betta and 3 ghost shrimp.

Hoping to eventually upgrade to red cherry or red crystal shrimp.

Has: 5 pieces of custom-waterlogged cholla wood, bought from a hobby lobby.
1 dwarf lily, remnant of my order from heather.
1 broad-leafed anubias species from a petco tank.
1 narrow-leafed anubias from a petsmart tube.
1 amazon sword from a petsmart tube.

Gravel is eco-complete, baffled with a water-bottle baffle. And a background of one of Amano's planted tanks, to block off the ugly wires.

More pictures, esp of the before-and-after, in the Pictures Forum.

I had posted a thread asking about the cholla in this forum a couple months ago, but never got a response about their safety with bettas. So I just went with it, and it's been perfect. 4 of the pieces waterlogged in under 24 hours, and leeched tannins only a week after. The wood is very soft, even in the tattered-looking spots, and do not tear my betta's fins. He is also able to fit through all the the cholla pieces. They also provide awesome hiding spots for my shrimp, and are nice anchors for anubias.

The only thing I can think to add at this point is another narrow leafed anubias on the same piece of wood the first one is on, and perhaps some sort of ground cover plant; the grass-looking kinds. I suspect they'll be rather messy, though... I refuse to work with messy-small-leafed plants in the future.

Sorry for the large pictures >_>
Attached Images

Last edited by Arowan; 01-26-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typos
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #2394 
dannys60

My 9 gallon hex tank
dannys60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #2395 
Aluyasha

Nice tank Dannys60.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #2396 
Kestrel

@ boro Your tank and your fish are just beautiful!

@ Arowan I love the cholla wood, and it's a great idea. I've wanted to put driftwood or something like it in my tank for a while but haven't seen any for sale. So you just soaked it for a week, or did you also do anything else?
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #2397 
mynameiskcdc

This is Sir Philson's tank! I've only had him for less than a week, but he seems to really enjoy his little home. He had a nice bubble nest going earlier today, but I did a partial water change, so the bubble nest went bye bye.

Right now I've got him fasting a bit because he refuses to eat anything but blood worms (which is why I had to change his water and get all the spit out food pellets from under his gravel). Needless to say, he's a little peeved at me and likes to hide in his barrel and behind his plastic purple plant and sulk. Once I move into my apartment next semester, he is at least getting a 2.5 gallon tank. I just don't have room for much more than a gallon in this tiny dorm room. Phil and I are much the same in that way ; )
mynameiskcdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #2398 
dannys60

Thank you Aluyasha I just upgraded to this tank Merpies was in a small 2.5 Gallon tank before. He loves the new room he has to swim and the two live plants I got him.
dannys60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #2399 
anglnarnld

Arowan: Absolutely LOVE your tank , I also adore your dbt too ;D
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #2400 
Arowan

I just soaked it, since I figured it'd already been boiled by the hobby lobby. Honestly, I put 4 of the pieces in after the first day. The 5th one took over a week to waterlog, for some reason. I could have waited longer, and boiled them, so they wouldn't turn my water slightly brown... but I was impatient.

And I haven't had a single issue with them, otherwise (minus squishing shrimp when moving them... *coughs*) so I suppose I lucked out. In future, i'll make sure to boil...
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank