Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #2801 
ollief9

Percy's Tank (Again)

I've made a few changes to his tank. I went to my aquatic centre today and bought an Apple Snail and some sort of weed-like plant (I think it's Elodea Crispa but I'm not entirely sure). I bought the weeds because I thought the tank could do with sprucing up a bit and I like the floating look of them. The snail was an impulse buy, but I don't regret it. He's called Gary and he costed 1.99 (is that cheap for an Apple Snail?). I was furious because the employee just yanked the snail out of the tank and dumped it in a bag with no water! Luckily, I asked her to put some in, and she looked at me like I was some sort of idiot.

Anyway, here are a few pictures (not that anyone really cares, its a rubbish tank )
Name:  GEDC0945.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  98.9 KB
Name:  GEDC0948.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  94.4 KB
Name:  GEDC0946.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  97.0 KB
Name:  GEDC0947.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  94.3 KB

Percy was a bit nippy towards the snail at first but now he's established that Gary is no threat (he's only a snail!) everything's OK now.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #2802 
Lion Mom

Percy and Gary are certainly handsome dudes!!! :)

Why would you say it's a rubbish tank??? I LIKE the natural look it has!!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #2803 
Fawnleaf

Me too! That natural look is awesome!! I am actually putting plants and some driftwood into my tank tomorrow!!!! I love it! Your snail is awesome, btw!!! :D
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #2804 
cjayBetta

I will be posting something here tomorrow!!!!
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #2805 
Littlebittyfish

ollief9 your tank is really nice and your fish is pretty!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #2806 
JackisLost

Ollie, your driftwood and plant is awesome. The slate rocks take a lot of attention and my eyes just go towards them. Maybe if you lie them down and put a house (Chinese?) ornament on top in the left corner (your stems planted in back of it)? Black or frosted clear tint in the back would make it nice to a show tank just my opinion, but your tank is nice as is... Love that driftwood and plant

Also, if you have more gravel, make a slope. The back being taller than the front(back corners taller than the middle); it gives your tank a 3D depth. I feel your tank is so much vertical and horizontal.

Edit: let me sketch something on my iPhone, I have an idea for a new tank that involves your materials. Hehehe

Last edited by JackisLost; 03-19-2011 at 08:48 PM.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #2807 
JackisLost

ollief9, here's what i would think would increase visuals in your tank if you are not happy.
about 1/4 inch gravel in front, as much as 4+ inches under the house drawing to elevate the slate rocks. slate rocks stacked on top of eachother, small one on top of the larger one so it looks like stone steps.
if you don't like it, it's ok, just an idea if you don't like your current idea.
the slope is to add depth so you can see the whole tank looking strait at it, instead of looking at a higher angle to view what is in the back.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 AM   #2808 
ollief9

Hey, that's a pretty good idea, thanks! The slate is actually placed there to cover the filter and heater, firstly to try and reduce the flow and secondly I don't like ugly equipment sticking out like a sore thumb. If I could adapt your idea slightly so it's sort of half-covering the filter but there is still a platform of slate to put the cave on, I think that would work pretty well. I wouldn't put an artificial house ornament on, I'm really fussy about keeping all things natural, maybe something like this...
http://www.shirleyaquatics.co.uk/pro...146DA5618BFC18
....would look OK.

Thanks for taking the time to draw that diagram, it's given me a good idea on what to do with my tank.
One question though, if I were to add some more gravel, how would I do it? I don't want to take the whole tank apart and I can't just tip it straight in the tank. There is barely enough gravel to cover the bottom as it is.

If I have no other choice but to take the tank apart, I will do it, I would just rather do it an easier way.

Woke up this morning and found the snail has munched through most of that plant attatched to the driftwood.

Last edited by ollief9; 03-20-2011 at 03:12 AM.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #2809 
Fawnleaf

snails eat plants???? O_O
lol sorry, I didn't know that!!! :D
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #2810 
cjayBetta

CoCo's New home! :):)

HATES his Picture taken! Lololol

There is CoCo's new home! BIG upgrade from his fish bowl :)
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank