Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #4341 
Vanah

@ArcticRain ~ I love it! I don't bother with filters in anything under 5 gallons myself, since water changes are too frequent for it to matter and it just annoys most bettas.
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #4342 
missm83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRain View Post
Here is my updated tank! I had to take the filter out because no matter what i did, he freaked out when i had it on. I promise i will not change it again...I hope.

your tank is so cute! is this 2.5gl?? it looks like mine.. how often you do water change?
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #4343 
missm83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alethia View Post
So I set up a 20 long tank for my new girls after having 3 girls in a 7 gallon or a while and two boys in a split 5ish gallon. My four new girls went into the new house about an hour ago and there doesn't seem to be any bickering among them so far. might change when I put my older girls in, but they are being treated for ich right now ..booo.

I want to get some more plants for the tank, maybe some real plants later, but this is the set up for now.

Sitka, Kanji and Popu exploring

Kitkat checking out the new watering hole

So far Bass is very hard to spot in the tank. She blends in too well

i see her!! i love your tanks!! and your kitty
Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #4344 
astoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanah View Post

Trying out a stronger filter in the 10 gallon divided that directs a stream of water all along the back. Mika seems cool with it so far.

Ethan's 2-gallon hex. It's several years old so the light isn't very good. I even added a second mini light under the hood.

The new boy, Jasper, checking out his digs. He seems pleased. I didn't have any more silk plants but his anubias is a lot bigger than the java fern the others have. I'll probably add a mirror; I'm totally paranoid he'll start tailbiting.

And my bitty baby Travie~! He's excited to have the new tank, he was stuck in a 1-gallon for a week while I waited for my hex tanks to ship.
(Don't worry PewPewPew, the ribbon plant is silk, lol)
How do you do a water change on your smaller tanks without disturbing the plants? I'm trying to get a few plants going a 3 gal that doesn't have a filter but I'm realizing that every time I do my 100%, I'm ripping the roots out of the gravel to clean the tank. How do I keep the tank clean but let the plants have some stability?
astoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #4345 
ArcticRain

@Vanah ~ Thank you! He really seems to like it now that I have taken the filter out, he has Alot more swimming room too!

@missm83 ~ Thank you! The tank is a Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5, but taking the filter out gives him a lot more swimming room! With the filter I did two 50% water changes every week. Without the filter I do one 100% one 50% and one 25% every week.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #4346 
Vanah

Quote:
Originally Posted by astoda View Post
How do you do a water change on your smaller tanks without disturbing the plants? I'm trying to get a few plants going a 3 gal that doesn't have a filter but I'm realizing that every time I do my 100%, I'm ripping the roots out of the gravel to clean the tank. How do I keep the tank clean but let the plants have some stability?
I only use anubias or java fern. Anubias is either floating (which just looks weird to me) or tethered to an item in the tank (like driftwood or lava rocks). Java ferns don't really care how often you uproot them, since they can be tethered like anubias too. Any other plants in the smaller tanks are fake.

The kyoto plants in Travie's tank were actually temporary. But he's gone to live with a friend now. She REALLY wanted him and I can still visit him. :3
Here's the tank re-done, with Natsume getting acclimated after his journey from Thailand.

Last edited by Vanah; 09-23-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #4347 
Sweeda88

Sequin's tank. I'm always changing something about it!
Attached Images

Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #4348 
Princess Penny

Got a new light bulb today, and some root tabs, hopefully my plants will really start growing now :) I also attached the java moss to the big rock with a hairnet, really love how it looks!

Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #4349 
Sweeda88

Princess Penny, your tank always looks gorgeous!!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #4350 
missm83

So i decided to take out the filter...i do frequent water changes anyhow and this way romeo has little more room to swim
Attached Images

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank