Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #4931 
Sweeda88

NEVER put a goldfish in with a Betta. They don't have the same water needs. Goldfish need at LEAST a 20 gallon tank for one fish, they need cold water, and HEAVY filtration. Bettas need smaller tanks, warm water, and slow moving or still water. They don't mix well.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #4932 
Draug Isilme

^ Agreed full heartedly!
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #4933 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Thankyou upngo and Sweeda88!
I generally have a brown thumb too..I went through a bit of plants before I found a few that could survive in my tanks enviroment...anacharis, val, and cabomba didnt stand a chance in my tank...haha...The cabomba was growing nicely until I trimmed it so I am sure that was my fault! haha... Now, that rotala I dont think I could kill it if I tried...I trimed it down to 2" twigs and within a week or so its 4". 0_0
Rotala is a nice hardy stem plant and can be trimmed short so it will bush out over time..

Pewpewpew your tank looks really nice!I had a fish lose 3/4 of his pectoral once...I called him nemo for a little while..haha....It took a long while but it did grow back. I hope Baller makes a quick recovery. are those nerite snails in the last photo? if so, do you know if they will eat hair algae? I seem to have a huge hair algae issue in my 5 gallon.
Thank you, I hope he makes it. He has a 4-5 hour car ride tomorrow and then back on only just sunday, if he makes it. I cant leave him like I am his brother over vacation since he's got quite an infection going. I need something strong for this kid! Off to the store I go.

And Im not sure if they do or not. Thread algae they sure dont, I know that. My "moss balls" were knock offs and a different form of an algae that attacked my plants and they just...let it happen. Sigh! Regardless, theyre small,efficent, wont breed and are pretty cute (as snails go) and would be worth getting even if they dont eat the hair algae :)

Ive never had it in any tanks (knock on wood), so it could be they keep it in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
This is my planted 5 gallon tank. Trying to get some driftwood. I have a double tail plakat and three ghost shrimp.
Does anyone know what the steam plant is called?
It looks like wisteria. If you've recently bought it, I have a feeling you might see considerable leaf loss (since theyre adjusting), but its okay and the plant needs pruning and a chance to adapt.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #4934 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
NEVER put a goldfish in with a Betta. They don't have the same water needs. Goldfish need at LEAST a 20 gallon tank for one fish, they need cold water, and HEAVY filtration. Bettas need smaller tanks, warm water, and slow moving or still water. They don't mix well.
No the tank use to have goldfish but it died. So yeah miscommunication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
It looks like wisteria. If you've recently bought it, I have a feeling you might see considerable leaf loss (since theyre adjusting), but its okay and the plant needs pruning and a chance to adapt.
Thanks yeah should i just take the dying leaves off as close to the stem as possible. Also I just clipped them. :)

Last edited by kfryman; 11-21-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Adding info
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #4935 
zepherina

first home. he seemed to be really happy in his little glass bowl. always had a bubble nest.

but after reading more and more on them i felt bad, so i upgraded.

at first he just sat at the bottom and looked around (i think he was overwhelmed! lol) but then he started to swim around and look at all the things, i think hes still getting used to the giant skull, i haven't seen him in it yet, with the name beetlejuice i felt the skull was needed. :p

he seems to really like his plants, he really likes this one.

also, lulu says hello, she wanted her picture taken too. :)
zepherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #4936 
ManInBlack2010

good for you for upgrading beetlejuice! it definately takes a little bit for them to get used to a bigger house, i know my new guy Bocephus seemed terrified when i put him in his 5g, lol. i also like the glass ball in there, can he see his reflection?

and your rat is adorable :D
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #4937 
zepherina

i dont think he could, it wasnt a reflective glass, but he wasnt happy with me taking pictures of him lol
zepherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #4938 
kfryman

Are critter keepers suitable for bettas? I also take it that you need fake plants because you will be changing the water so often.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #4939 
Draug Isilme

Critter keepers are just fine, just make sure it's not too small, but not too big as they're not really made for fully aquatic creatures like fish- they're not as durable to hold such a huge amount of water/weight, which is why it's discouraged to get large ones. Live plants are fantastic for pretty much any sized aquarium depending on the type of plant and it's maintenance requirements. Fake plants are fine, too, though, since they don't really require any maintenance at all xD Kinda just depends on what you prefer, really...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #4940 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
No the tank use to have goldfish but it died. So yeah miscommunication.

Thanks yeah should i just take the dying leaves off as close to the stem as possible. Also I just clipped them. :)
It should be fine as long as you rinse the tank out well...My 29 gallon was a bearded dragon home before I got it...It just needed to be washed well..

Quote:
Are critter keepers suitable for bettas? I also take it that you need fake plants because you will be changing the water so often.
Critter keepers make perfect betta homes! I have two critter keepers. Petco makes their own brand of betta fish keepers..They are made for bettas.They have a blue lid and are usually sold near the fish bowls. I personally use a green lid reptile critter keeper...It is BPA free and the same thickness as the betta keeper, but cheaper and it holds right at 3 gallons. Critter keepers are also easy to filter and heat..Though, filtering isn't necessary if you want to do 100% water changes. You can have live plants in a critter keeper. I use a desk lamp with a daylight bulb that has 6500K for my live plants.
Here is a photo of my critter keeper:
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank