Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #5061 
hellofishy

where have you guys found the cheapest over 1 gal tank? Just a simple nice one, maybe a 2+ is it cheaper online or at a petstore?
hellofishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #5062 
CrowntailTwitchy57

at Petsmart, they have a 2L tank (no heater, no filter) with some tap water conditioner, food and pebbles for under $20 (i think)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marina-Aquar...item58900b85e5

here is a link to the package, but it may be a bit more expensive in the pet stores, because this is Ebay. Hope i've helped!

Last edited by CrowntailTwitchy57; 12-10-2011 at 06:02 PM.
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #5063 
hellofishy

Thanks! I just bought a dragonscale... only because i had a empty 1 gal at home (heehee- plus i wanted one..) I am using my ten gal for my females, so I think i should upgrade him soon. Although i promised myself I would just use the 1 gal and not spend anymore money... i can't help but think he would be happier in a little larger tank. Hes just a little boy now so I may have some time :)
hellofishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #5064 
Myates

Depends on whether you want a filter or not (which if you had a small tank one, you could put it on these)- if not and willing to do the 100% water changes each week, Petco has these.. Keepers. The medium is 1.75 gal, the large is 2.75 gal. No lighting... but a desk lamp of approx 40 watts and lower works perfectly- no extra heat on the tank or the water, and safe to use with a heater.
They don't look clear in the pic, but they are clear in life.

Last edited by Myates; 12-10-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #5065 
acadialover

someone gave me the easiest way to upload photos to this site, as I am not very good with computers...
when you go to reply, scroll down, and click on manage attatchments... then just choose the file from your computer and ba-da-bing.... I usually drag the photos I want from iphoto onto my desktop and that makes it easy to find...
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #5066 
PewPewPew

Walmart sells 2 gallon glass cookie jars that make fun and adorable homes :) I used one and gave one as a gift. I was able to run a small filter like the tetra whisper 3i in it as well as a heater easily. You can even keep the glass lid on top, so long as there's a slight crack at the top, which is easy to do when you have a heater's cord and or airline tubing from a filter :)

Theyre usually about $10, which isnt bad for a cute, thick glass tank.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #5067 
Jodah

My two macquariums, based on the outer shell of a g4 powercube case.

For now, one will be getting a female crowntail soon as I find the right one. The clear one may get a cambodian, or another crowntail female. Cuz crowntail's rock! Sorry for the slight blurriness, I don't have a tripod, and got a large coffee running through me at the moment. lol.

Both cost me less than 20 bucks to make too. w00t!
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #5068 
acadialover

whhooa, from another mac family member, how did you do it ?
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #5069 
Jodah

Acquire the outer shells? or Put the plexi in the bottom?

I got the shells from some disused ones at my gf's college, gosh, almost 3 years ago now?

As for the plexi bottom, I knew aquarium silicone doesn't bond very well, but it does seal. So, being very careful I cut plexi squares to fit inside the outer shell, then rounded the corners over with a belt sander. You have to go slow otherwise you'll round the corners over too much and be sol. After that, I measured the approx distance from the underside of the top, to the point where I wanted the bottom plexi to sit and cut 4 pieces of scrap wood to that length.

After that, I set the plexi inside, using the wood to support it, taped in place, and drilled 3 small holes straight through the sides of the shell into the edges of the plexi. I then used tapped the holes for some set screws (6/32 iirc) and gently screwed those in.

After that, I used some two part plastic epoxy that was supposedly clear (totally was not clear) to secure the bottom panel further into place.

After that not so clear epoxy, I cleaned the inside of the shell, and used aquarium silicone to seal it all up. First test leaked like a sieve. Apparently my holes were not drilled so straight and protruded into the inside of the shell.

So, resealed and water tested again, tested fine. The green one I painted, the clear one I did not. This is a relatively old idea though as someone posted a vid of it back in 2007 on youtube. Just merely took me this long to get off my arse and do it.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #5070 
bettafish15

Are they at least a gallon? They look small...
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank