Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #5381 
MistersMom

no please NO ONE say anything bad, i already know its too small, but i have a sorority in the larger half and 1 male in each smaller part. i know i need more space for my girls, but for now they are small and i will save up money for a new 10 gallon. no fretting..... no scolding..... and no harassment.....
i already know, ive heard it all! i have been fighting a nasty case of fin rot,,and both males fins are growing back finally. none of my females had it...
so from left to right here are my decorations..... 2 silk plants a shark cave, a fake sea anemone,and a Nemo to go with,a divider,a plastic plans, another cave and a Buddha, divider, no fishing octopus, mug and a hidden grass and another grass...and the sections may look small, but trust me they aren't....
Attached Images

Last edited by MistersMom; 01-30-2012 at 09:13 PM.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 AM   #5382 
Bondance

I like it =D it's so colorful
Bondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #5383 
Daisykd

I'd like some opinions on the backgrounds you can get for aquariums? Do they work in blocking reflections? I've noticed lately Arthur seems to be swimming back and forth fast really close to the side of the tank. Does this stress him out? Should I cover everything but the front with it if I buy some?
Daisykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #5384 
MJK87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisykd View Post
I'd like some opinions on the backgrounds you can get for aquariums? Do they work in blocking reflections? I've noticed lately Arthur seems to be swimming back and forth fast really close to the side of the tank. Does this stress him out? Should I cover everything but the front with it if I buy some?
A good background on the back of your tank will make your fish feel more secure and in most cases reduce stress. It also makes your fishes colors stand out. From time to time bettas may see their reflection in it and flair but its not harm for the fish.

Ive tried all different kinds of background from the cheap stuff you put on with tape to vinyl. I have found that the cheapest and most effective method is to just tape your tank off before you set it up and paint the back with black spray paint. I use krylon fusion gloss black to do my tanks. It sticks well and if you allow it to dry for seven days, it usually is completely chip resistant. Not only does paint look completely professional (as long as its not rushed) but it holds up well and is the cheapest method available (around 5$ a can) (one can will do a 10 gallon tank).

It is wise to paint the background as it also hides all the clutter of cords and box from a hob filter. If you plant to view your tank from the sides I would leave them clear but if you only plan to view your tank from the front it might be wise to paint the sides adding extra security for your fish. Here is a link on how to do it. Its worth the time it takes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn7pps8kjk0
MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #5385 
Daisykd

Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #5386 
Jetbo

Here is my planted 10 gallon male Betta tank with trumpet snails and 5 ghost shrimps.
Jetbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #5387 
Gen2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisykd View Post
I used store bought background on my tank and in my opinion it's even more reflective. My Admiral did nothing but flare at it all day and even ripped one of his fin because of it. I'm not saying it appens to all the bettas but it happened to mine. What I did is I went to Walmart and bought a piee of fabric (cloth) that had a really nice pattern on it (leopard print) and I use it as a background. It seems to reduce reflection and my fish loves it. He still flares but just in the morning when I open his light and for about 5 minutes, after that he stops.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #5388 
Pewmew

New tank

Got an awesome new tank :) My fish finally stopped biting his tail
Attached Images

Pewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #5389 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK87 View Post

It is wise to paint the background as it also hides all the clutter of cords and box from a hob filter.
I painted the back of mine with streaks of blue and green glitter craft paint.
It glitters more in person than in this photo:

Last edited by registereduser; 01-31-2012 at 11:49 AM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #5390 
Daisykd

For the fabric it's on the outside of the back of the tank right? The fabric paint though did you use it on the inside or the outside?

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank