Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #5581 
xjenuhfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyBear View Post
We have beautiful white quartz sand here on the Gulf Coast. I've heard of people using it in freshwater tanks after they rinse it extremely well to remove salt and other debris. I'm not sure I'd risk it. However, BlackwaterRriver and some other creeks and rivers in the area have almost the same kind of white sand. I've used that in tanks before after rinsing it well.

Where are you going on vacation? If it's anywhere on the Gulf Coast, keep in mind we still find tar balls once in a while. Might not be a great choice.
It is, Naples. -___- I forgot about the oil spill. No sand then! I wouldn't have a problem cleaning it, I was hoping to bring it home and put it in the tank as a momento because I don't get to go there often anymore. But if there is a chance its gonna hurt the tank or my fish, I won't go near it!
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #5582 
pasoindy

Quote:
My 12 gallon Fluval Edge. Radagast shares his home with 9 cardinal tetras, a clown pleco, 3 false julii corrys, snails, and shrimp.

Attachment 49374

Attachment 49375
My eyesight isn't great, so if those aren't real plants, please try not to laugh too much. If they aren't real, that is the best silk tank I've ever seen!

How are you finding the light on your Edge? I'm having to supplement the light on my 6 gallon, because the lights are right in the center and are fairly dim. I have the new LED version. I use both root tabs and Flourish Excel.
I have mainly low light easy growers like Anubias and they are ok. My Banana Plant, Micro Sword (no growth and yellowing), and Chain Sword are planted in the front of the tank and weren't growing much until I put an additional LED across the front. Now they are going nuts, but because I can't turn the blue set of lights off, I am also getting a bit of algae. I bought a different strip so hopefully it will fix that. I may be dosing the Flourish too much as well.
It looks like you have plant substrate under your gravel. Do you find that it helps a lot?
pasoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #5583 
pasoindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkhiphop View Post
omelet
That is a stunning fishy. Love his name too. :)
Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #5584 
BarleyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasoindy View Post
My eyesight isn't great, so if those aren't real plants, please try not to laugh too much. If they aren't real, that is the best silk tank I've ever seen!

How are you finding the light on your Edge? I'm having to supplement the light on my 6 gallon, because the lights are right in the center and are fairly dim. I have the new LED version. I use both root tabs and Flourish Excel.
I have mainly low light easy growers like Anubias and they are ok. My Banana Plant, Micro Sword (no growth and yellowing), and Chain Sword are planted in the front of the tank and weren't growing much until I put an additional LED across the front. Now they are going nuts, but because I can't turn the blue set of lights off, I am also getting a bit of algae. I bought a different strip so hopefully it will fix that. I may be dosing the Flourish too much as well.
It looks like you have plant substrate under your gravel. Do you find that it helps a lot?
They are all real plants, lol. My lighting has been perfect for me, but the 12 gallon comes with the 42 LED system. It's also taller, so the light reaches all four corners unlike the 6 gallon, I think. My Cabomba is growing like, well, like a weed, and the aponogetons had to be cut back to the bulb because they were about to bust out of the tank!

I had some spotting and yellowing with my Amazon swords, originally, but I think that was due to them adjusting to the water. They were probably grown emersed instead of submerged. After cutting out all of the old leaves, the new ones are vibrant and green and look healthy. My marimo balls are perfect. And the dwarf hairgrass seems to be doing well. I also have java moss and orchid lily that's doing well. I tried crypts, but they yellowed and then my pleco devoured and uprooted them. I also tried micro sword, but it didn't stay in the gravel very well, so I took it out. After growing really well for a while, my wisteria now seems to be getting spotty. I don't know why. It was growing like crazy when the aponogetons were taking over. Maybe it likes lower light.

I don't have any special substrate, just natural gravel. I've been using Nutrafin Grow and API Leaf Zone. I'm wanting to get some Excel Flourish, soon, because I don't use any kind of Co2.

In the next month, I'm going to be getting a 6 gallon and attempting an Iwagumi style tank. I ordered the rocks already. This will be a very different kind of tank, as I'm used to just planting everything and letting it grow. It will be an excercise in restraint!

Good luck with your plants. If you haven't checked out The Planted Tank forum, you might want to give it a try. There's a thread on there devoted solely to Fluval Edge, and there are lots of good lighting ideas. I'm just going to stick with what I've got and see what grows.
BarleyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #5585 
BarleyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
It is, Naples. -___- I forgot about the oil spill. No sand then! I wouldn't have a problem cleaning it, I was hoping to bring it home and put it in the tank as a momento because I don't get to go there often anymore. But if there is a chance its gonna hurt the tank or my fish, I won't go near it!
I wouldn't risk it. But you can still take some home as a memento. I used to use those little mini glass wine bottles sold at convenience stores to make keepsakes for friends leaving Pensacola. After drinking the wine (, I'd fill them up a little less than half way with sand and fill it up with water from the Gulf. At home, I'd take the label off and seal the cork with wax. It makes an awesome-looking homemade souvenir. Then I'd give it to a friend as a going-away gift that allowed them to have a part of the beach with them wherever they were living. They all loved it.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #5586 
XxBettaLoverxX

Here are my tanks. Hope you like :)

My boys divided 10gl tank. They are not equally divided b/c the filter was in the way. But I put the smallest/youngest boy in there so he can grow faster.

Tom (My first love) and his section w/ 1 ghostie:

Jerry (My macho man) and his section w/ 1 ghostie:

Snowflake (My Cutie) and his section w/ 1 ghostie:

The white cup in the backround in my homemade Filter baffle:

Now onto my sorority :)
Yes it is a plastic drawer, but they love it haha (it's about 9-10gl)

Here's a pic of the (homemade) lid. Half on, half off. Works perfectly :)

The inhabitants: Skye (top) Bay (bottom)

Skye again (top) and Ariewl (bottom). This sorority also contains 4 ghosties.

(They love to chase my finger when I put the tip of it on the surface lol cute)

My Community tank. Contains 2 angelfish, 3 danios, 3 guppies, 1 cory (need to get him some buddies), 1 chinese algae eater, 2 ghosties.

My extra QT tank with 2 left over ghosties:
XxBettaLoverxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #5587 
pasoindy

Quote:
They are all real plants, lol. My lighting has been perfect for me, but the 12 gallon comes with the 42 LED system. It's also taller, so the light reaches all four corners unlike the 6 gallon, I think. My Cabomba is growing like, well, like a weed, and the aponogetons had to be cut back to the bulb because they were about to bust out of the tank!

I had some spotting and yellowing with my Amazon swords, originally, but I think that was due to them adjusting to the water. They were probably grown emersed instead of submerged. After cutting out all of the old leaves, the new ones are vibrant and green and look healthy. My marimo balls are perfect. And the dwarf hairgrass seems to be doing well. I also have java moss and orchid lily that's doing well. I tried crypts, but they yellowed and then my pleco devoured and uprooted them. I also tried micro sword, but it didn't stay in the gravel very well, so I took it out. After growing really well for a while, my wisteria now seems to be getting spotty. I don't know why. It was growing like crazy when the aponogetons were taking over. Maybe it likes lower light.

I don't have any special substrate, just natural gravel. I've been using Nutrafin Grow and API Leaf Zone. I'm wanting to get some Excel Flourish, soon, because I don't use any kind of Co2.

In the next month, I'm going to be getting a 6 gallon and attempting an Iwagumi style tank. I ordered the rocks already. This will be a very different kind of tank, as I'm used to just planting everything and letting it grow. It will be an excercise in restraint!

Good luck with your plants. If you haven't checked out The Planted Tank forum, you might want to give it a try. There's a thread on there devoted solely to Fluval Edge, and there are lots of good lighting ideas. I'm just going to stick with what I've got and see what grows.
I love The Planted Tank forum and went through the entire Edge thread. I got somewhat disappointed that most of them were busy modifying the Edge's lighting. I know that's what they love doing, but I really wanted to see more examples of low tech Edge tanks flourishing. Many of them changed out everything but the tank, and one guy even cut the glass top off! LOL
They had lovely tanks though.

Good luck with your 'scape. I hope you post pictures.
My husband and I are going to try one with petrified wood. I already have the pieces. At the same time, I want to make it Betta friendly as I hope to put our fishy in it.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #5588 
BarleyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasoindy View Post
I love The Planted Tank forum and went through the entire Edge thread. I got somewhat disappointed that most of them were busy modifying the Edge's lighting. I know that's what they love doing, but I really wanted to see more examples of low tech Edge tanks flourishing. Many of them changed out everything but the tank, and one guy even cut the glass top off! LOL
They had lovely tanks though.

Good luck with your 'scape. I hope you post pictures.
My husband and I are going to try one with petrified wood. I already have the pieces. At the same time, I want to make it Betta friendly as I hope to put our fishy in it.
I agree with you about all the mods. At what point does the aesthetic of the Fluval cease to exist? That's the whole reason I got a Fluval. My plants seem to be doing just fine.

I looked at doing petrified wood for my upcoming Iwagumi tank, so make sure you send me pics of yours. The only reason I didn't was that I'd have to order them online, and I couldn't tell if I'd like what I'd get or not.

By the way, there had been some discussion about bettas possibly not being able to find the surface hole in the Fluval. Mine had no problem whatsoever. It may seem like a small opening to us, but it is way bigger than most of the containers people put bettas in. Mine goes straight to it every time he needs to get some air. It's also where his food comes from, so sometimes he just swims around an inch above the tank in the little hole.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #5589 
xjenuhfur

Quote:
I wouldn't risk it. But you can still take some home as a memento. I used to use those little mini glass wine bottles sold at convenience stores to make keepsakes for friends leaving Pensacola. After drinking the wine (, I'd fill them up a little less than half way with sand and fill it up with water from the Gulf. At home, I'd take the label off and seal the cork with wax. It makes an awesome-looking homemade souvenir. Then I'd give it to a friend as a going-away gift that allowed them to have a part of the beach with them wherever they were living. They all loved it.
That's a really good idea! I'm pretty sure we have those little sutter house bottles in the fridge. Might have to avoid the wax though. You don't know me, but in terrified of burning myself in any way/shape/form.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #5590 
xjenuhfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBettaLoverxX View Post
Here are my tanks. Hope you like :)

My boys divided 10gl tank. They are not equally divided b/c the filter was in the way. But I put the smallest/youngest boy in there so he can grow faster.

Tom (My first love) and his section w/ 1 ghostie:

Jerry (My macho man) and his section w/ 1 ghostie:

Snowflake (My Cutie) and his section w/ 1 ghostie:

The white cup in the backround in my homemade Filter baffle:

Now onto my sorority :)
Yes it is a plastic drawer, but they love it haha (it's about 9-10gl)

Here's a pic of the (homemade) lid. Half on, half off. Works perfectly :)

The inhabitants: Skye (top) Bay (bottom)

Skye again (top) and Ariewl (bottom). This sorority also contains 4 ghosties.

(They love to chase my finger when I put the tip of it on the surface lol cute)

My Community tank. Contains 2 angelfish, 3 danios, 3 guppies, 1 cory (need to get him some buddies), 1 chinese algae eater, 2 ghosties.

My extra QT tank with 2 left over ghosties:
Oh my, your drawer idea is genius! How do you keep that filtered? Or do you just let he plants do the filtration for you?

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank