Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #5991 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lempicka View Post
I don't have a tank to share yet [unless you'd like to see an empty one? lol] but I was hoping I could ask a quick question?

I have an 10 gallon tank that I'm not using, and in a few weeks I intend to get a betta because they're really pretty to look at. I see a lot of people use colourful gravel in their tanks- it's pretty pretty. But I was wondering if it is safe to use sand in with a betta fish? That's what I generally have on hand because that is what I use with my turtle *-*
It is perfectly safe, depending on the kind.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #5992 
JennybugJennifer

I am thinking of switching to sand. I think it's ok? I saw sand for Betta tanks at Petco today
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #5993 
Lempicka

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
It is perfectly safe, depending on the kind.
I have Quickrete playsand, about 20 pounds of it because it is turtle safe after being washed. It's your basic run of the mill sand, it isn't calcium treated and it isn't reef sad which tends to have live cultures in it, either. Although it wouldn't be difficult for me to just grab some basic aquarium sand either- I could probably even getting a funky colour like green *-*

And one more question if I may, I'm not sure how different these little tropical fish are from turtles so I'm a bit out of my element for now, but for decorating are any kind of decorative statues okay? Or should I lurk around the aquarium section of places like petco? I've seen rocks and plant pots so I was curious.

Must lurk around these forums more a bit more.
Lempicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #5994 
Mo

Depending on the type. Most yes. I personally use, non dyed quick Crete playsand. But Petco seeks aquarium safe sand aswell that is exceptionally Beatiful
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #5995 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lempicka View Post
I have Quickrete playsand, about 20 pounds of it because it is turtle safe after being washed. It's your basic run of the mill sand, it isn't calcium treated and it isn't reef sad which tends to have live cultures in it, either. Although it wouldn't be difficult for me to just grab some basic aquarium sand either- I could probably even getting a funky colour like green *-*

And one more question if I may, I'm not sure how different these little tropical fish are from turtles so I'm a bit out of my element for now, but for decorating are any kind of decorative statues okay? Or should I lurk around the aquarium section of places like petco? I've seen rocks and plant pots so I was curious.

Must lurk around these forums more a bit more.

When in doubt about a decoration, just ask on here. People are usually good about answering. Terracotta pots are okay if there are no glazes on them. Also make sure the hole in the bottom is covered or cut all the way out and sanded.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #5996 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennybugJennifer View Post
Really they told me it would be fine and that's the way they had it in their tank displays :/
Nope. It is not okay for them to be fully submerged like that. Just another scam their selling.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #5997 
JennybugJennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Nope. It is not okay for them to be fully submerged like that. Just another scam their selling.

Grrrr. I'm really starting to hate pet stores.
I'm being told now that the 2.5 I have divided for my two males isn't healthy, bloodworm diet is bad, need a heater, and now the bamboo... AND Petco said all this was ok and was like "oh you can add a frog per side too and be fine"

Any ideas for the bamboo? I don't know what to do :(
Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #5998 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Just upgraded to this 55 gallon today
Name:  IMG_0380.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  36.7 KB
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #5999 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennybugJennifer View Post
Grrrr. I'm really starting to hate pet stores.
I'm being told now that the 2.5 I have divided for my two males isn't healthy, bloodworm diet is bad, need a heater, and now the bamboo... AND Petco said all this was ok and was like "oh you can add a frog per side too and be fine"

Any ideas for the bamboo? I don't know what to do :(
Stick the bamboo in a bowl/fill no more than half way up the stalks
2.5 gallons is fine.
HOWEVER, getting a kritter keeper will A: give both of them some more space and B: make it that much easier for you to find a heater for them.
Yes they do need heaters, they must be kept in waters between 80-83F
I wouldn't add ANYTHING in either side.
I believe bloodworms are a great weekly treat. Pellet food as a daily diet is best.
I hate chain pet stores as well, but they are the only place I can go to for my animals' needs without driving an hour-ish. If I am unsure of anything I want to purchase, I hold off the purchase and create a thread ;)

Sorry to derail the thread everyone xD
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #6000 
JennybugJennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Stick the bamboo in a bowl/fill no more than half way up the stalks
2.5 gallons is fine.
HOWEVER, getting a kritter keeper will A: give both of them some more space and B: make it that much easier for you to find a heater for them.
Yes they do need heaters, they must be kept in waters between 80-83F
I wouldn't add ANYTHING in either side.
I believe bloodworms are a great weekly treat. Pellet food as a daily diet is best.
I hate chain pet stores as well, but they are the only place I can go to for my animals' needs without driving an hour-ish. If I am unsure of anything I want to purchase, I hold off the purchase and create a thread ;)

Sorry to derail the thread everyone xD
A critter keeper for one of them to live in?
Don't add plants or a hide? Jaws lovessssss his sponge bob pineapple hide
Pearl won't use his hide.
I did buy this:

Which has wholes in the top that would hold the bamboo perfectly

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank