Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #6011 
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
Nice! I have a yellow veiltail in a 10 gallon tank. He loves the space!
Yea I wouldn't mind going to a 15 though. I'd actually like to go full blown live plants. When I was growing up me and my dad maintained a 90 gallon SW reef but I've always preferred the look of an Iwagumi style aquarium. Maybe after I move to my new apartment and find a reliable source of dwarf baby tears.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #6012 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Yea I wouldn't mind going to a 15 though. I'd actually like to go full blown live plants. When I was growing up me and my dad maintained a 90 gallon SW reef but I've always preferred the look of an Iwagumi style aquarium. Maybe after I move to my new apartment and find a reliable source of dwarf baby tears.
I'm moving in about a month as well. The tank Sayid (yellow VT) is in is mostly live plants - i think I have 1 or 2 filler silk plants in there now too. After I move, it will be all live plants. Same for my 20G sorority - but it has more filler plants in there right now since I have 9 girls in there :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #6013 
lelei

Question Sleeping Fish

Hello, Betta friends, I am posting this because I found it curious to see that my "Sammy" loves to sleep in a hidaway on a leaf of a tall silk plant, I have tried the "Bed for Betta's Leaf" that he ignored and now is comfy cozy under a leaf, it's adorable my question is however, he sleeps for more than an hour at a time, not all the time, but sometimes, he eats normally he is in 76/78 degree water temp, and loves his tank, 3gal so I was just wondering if anyone notices How long thier fishy's sleep??
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #6014 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Hello, Betta friends, I am posting this because I found it curious to see that my "Sammy" loves to sleep in a hidaway on a leaf of a tall silk plant, I have tried the "Bed for Betta's Leaf" that he ignored and now is comfy cozy under a leaf, it's adorable my question is however, he sleeps for more than an hour at a time, not all the time, but sometimes, he eats normally he is in 76/78 degree water temp, and loves his tank, 3gal so I was just wondering if anyone notices How long thier fishy's sleep??
every betta is different. some will sleep a lot some not as much - or might only sleep while you are sleeping. just depends on the betta and sometimes their environment. Some of my fish - i never see them sleeping because they're active all day and then sleep at night. some of my others take naps during the day - i like to call them cat naps. lol.
I had one of those betta leafs in the past and it got used by one of my bettas, but generally any plants or hiding places can be useful. But then again, it depends on the betta whether they decide they like it or not.
I would say you should only be concerned if your betta is always sleeping - might mean he is sick. If they are healthy, they should be moving around some. Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #6015 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
A big issue I see here is water temp. In my experience, bettas will move less in colder water. Bettas are tropical fish and need to be kept in waters 80-83F
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #6016 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
A big issue I see here is water temp. In my experience, bettas will move less in colder water. Bettas are tropical fish and need to be kept in waters 80-83F
I've been told a number of times on this site and elsewhere that 76-82 is the accepted range for bettas.
If their water is truly in the 76-78 range, I'm not sure that is the big issue.
I keep my betta's water as close to 80 as possible but never lower than 76/78 which is fine.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #6017 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post

I highly recommend trying to up the water temp and see what he does.
My Spike perfers 82F over 78F.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #6018 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
10 gallon setup
LOVE IT! What kind of lighting is that?? :D

Edit: You can *fully SUBMERGE a heater? mine's HUGE for the tank but if I can submerge it against the longest side horizontally instead of vertically, it'll work fine!!! I really need to know, thanks! ^___^

Last edited by LugiaChan; 05-03-2012 at 09:32 PM.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #6019 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaChan View Post
LOVE IT! What kind of lighting is that?? :D

Edit: You can *fully SUBMERGE a heater? mine's HUGE for the tank but if I can submerge it against the longest side horizontally instead of vertically, it'll work fine!!! I really need to know, thanks! ^___^

It depends on the heater.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #6020 
simplykayla76

My little guy in his home :)

simplykayla76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank