Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #6051 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I won't chastise you for keeping them in 1 gallons, but they need heaters unless you live in a tropical climate.
agreed
and even IF they lived in a tropical environment, I recommend using an aquarium thermometer to keep an accurate recording on water temp.
I myself live in steamy FL and I still have a heater in Spike's tank. Partially because me and hubs HATE the heat and keep the house at a constant 73F.

XxBettaLoverxX Just because the bettas have built a bubble nest doesn't mean all their care is taking care of. They could just be ecstatically happy to get out of those dirty cups and into a clean and bit bigger home.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #6052 
XxBettaLoverxX

@Micho & FishyFishy89
Yea I didn't think so either, but alot of people from this site say so. Wish I could read betta's' minds, darn!
XxBettaLoverxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #6053 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBettaLoverxX View Post
@Micho
Yea I didn't think so either, but alot of people from this site say so. Wish I could read betta's' minds, darn!
because, if you think about it, it is a bit true

take a look at the bettas at those chain pet stores, 95% of them are not going to be building bubble nests. Maybe if they hired employees whom actually care about the fish, then MAYBE the bettas will make a bubble nest, but then again, those cups provide next to no stimuli for the fish.

Not to mention, usually when the bettas are building a bubble nest, their environment has:
stimulus
proper nutrition
correct water parameters

Also keep in mind what can make a betta build a nest in a poor environment:
female next door neighbor
sometimes a male next door neighbor
boredom (some are actually smart enough to do something constructive when bored)
sudden change in environment (good or bad)

I have a bad habit to going completely off topic xD
Anyhow, back on topic a wee bit. I'm trying SUPER hard to get a picture of Spike inside his croc skull for y'all.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #6054 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFishMaster View Post
All three of my boys are in 1-gallon tanks. Obviously, the glass makes the fish look bigger. I rescued all three from horrible pet store conditions; so please don't chastise me for keeping them in small tanks.
I agree with everyone else on the heater issue. I also want to say that, whilst the volume of those vases may be sufficient, they have a very small footprint which greatly limits the horizontal space (much preferred by air-breathing bettas to vertical space) that they can swim in. Some heated 1 gallon tanks of the normal rectangular shape would be much better for the fish, and would also allow you to provide more cover for them. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #6055 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I agree with everyone else on the heater issue. I also want to say that, whilst the volume of those vases may be sufficient, they have a very small footprint which greatly limits the horizontal space (much preferred by air-breathing bettas to vertical space) that they can swim in. Some heated 1 gallon tanks of the normal rectangular shape would be much better for the fish, and would also allow you to provide more cover for them. :)

Great point to add. I've always gotten tanks that are longer than they are taller, so I've never really thought about which the fish type of fish prefers what.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #6056 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lempicka View Post
So I got my fish, sooner than expected *-*;;;; He's a male crowntail, still a baby, and I had him special ordered since my local aquarium store is private owned- they don't hold bettas in their store- save two two pet fish- because they won't let them go unless you're setting them up in a proper home.
That is one awesome aquarium store !
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #6057 
FrostSinth

I finally finished the details to Kevin Fisher's tank, so now he's got a heater, filter, hidey holes, fake plants, and a snail friend (maybe one ghost shrimp too, but he killed the other ones )

What do you guys think? The original decorations were just from around my room, but he loves that blue thing that used to be an unused candle holder. I tried to stick with a warm color theme, other than the blue thing

How many gallons does it look like? 5?
FrostSinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #6058 
Aluyasha

Are you asking what gallon size we think your tank is Frostsinth? If so I would say your tank looks closer to a 15-20 gallon. :)

If you are not sure on it's size you can take measurements and compare on a tank sizing chart. (I just look up on google)

Last edited by Aluyasha; 05-10-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #6059 
FrostSinth

Then my dad was wrong lmao, I thought it was a heck of a lot bigger than a 5.
FrostSinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #6060 
XxBettaLoverxX

@FrostSinth

Just put in the dimensions of your tank here:http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/gallons.htm and it will tell you how many gallons it is. Good luck :)
XxBettaLoverxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank