Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #6181 
a123andpoof

Okay 1 gallons make great tanks provided they are cleaned a few times a week. And depending on how warm they keep their house they may not need heat. Her fish if you ask me don't look cold. A cold and not happy fish have clamped fins and dull colors none of her fish look cold or have clamped fins. A betta does not need 2 gallons to be happy. It's better than their cups. I keep bettas in 1 gallons all the time and have no problems.

Anyways here is my 1.5 gallon tank that Kinzoku lives in until we move and then he will be upgraded to a 5 or 10 gallon.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #6182 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

BettaFishMaster- if those are real shells I would remove them. They alter the hardness of the water causing unecessary problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #6183 
Ianthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasablanca View Post
You should! And get another KK and make it decorated how your husband wants ;)

I just might! What size KK did you use for that tank?
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #6184 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
Okay 1 gallons make great tanks provided they are cleaned a few times a week. And depending on how warm they keep their house they may not need heat. Her fish if you ask me don't look cold. A cold and not happy fish have clamped fins and dull colors none of her fish look cold or have clamped fins. A betta does not need 2 gallons to be happy. It's better than their cups. I keep bettas in 1 gallons all the time and have no problems.

Anyways here is my 1.5 gallon tank that Kinzoku lives in until we move and then he will be upgraded to a 5 or 10 gallon.
Thank you for stating this. I back you up a hundred percent on this. I don't mind others voicing thier opinions but we all need to remember that everyone situation is different. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are wrong. Just means they don't agree with you. I keep most of my males in one gallons, especially the long tailed boys. And I clean my tanks like a crazy person. They also have a cave and plants. I switch out their caves and plants often to keep them entertained.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #6185 
Ianthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Thank you for stating this. I back you up a hundred percent on this. I don't mind others voicing thier opinions but we all need to remember that everyone situation is different. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are wrong. Just means they don't agree with you. I keep most of my males in one gallons, especially the long tailed boys. And I clean my tanks like a crazy person. They also have a cave and plants. I switch out their caves and plants often to keep them entertained.
I also want to say I agree. I don't want to get bashed, but I really feel that if you keep the water clean, and the temperature is stable, that a 1 gallon can be fine, even great, for a betta. Most definitely better than a slow death in a cup at the store. I will even step WAY OUT and say that for a very short period of time, if needed, a betta can be pretty happy on a half gallon, depending on different factors. Our current betta lives in a ten gallon, but I would not hesitate to put a fish in something much smaller depending on the situation. :)
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #6186 
JennybugJennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I and a few other members had already said this to BettaFishMaster but they insist that since their in los angeles they don't need a heater.
And that their fish are uber happy in there tanks based off the fact that they have built bubble nest
It's difficult for me to deal with people not open to help, so I wasn't going to say anything. But I agree as well.
If I went off bubble nests my two would still be sharing a 2.5 gallon with a ADF, snail, and oto :/ (petsmart told me this is just fine)
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #6187 
Bombalurina

I'm in Australia, and I still need a heater. :p It's not just about warmth, it's about stability.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #6188 
a123andpoof

I agree, but her house could be kept at a stable 78 day and night year around. A stretch yes, but possible.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #6189 
freeflow246

I live in Florida, and only in the winter time do I need a heater. My house stays at a pretty stable 72-74 degrees, and with a heater in the winter the tanks get a bit above 80. I would love an adjustable one, but I don't think they have any for 1 or 2.5 gallons.
Neither of my fish have issues with being in one gallon. I actually moved my long-finned boy there from the 2.5 when he became really sick and I was having to treat him. I've kept him there since he is so sickly and it's a pain to keep bouncing the fish back and forth.
As long as a 1 gallon is properly maintained, I think it's fine. It's unlikely that pet store fish have known anything bigger, to be honest.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #6190 
Neil D

Personally I prefer a 2 gallon minimum, but a betta could be just fine in a 1g, as long as, as stated above, the water is kept clean and they are warm. Sometimes though, trying different tank sizes can make a betta's personality come out. Some bettas are boring in 10g's cos they're scared, some love the room, and some couldn't care either way.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank