Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #6191 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennybugJennifer View Post
It's difficult for me to deal with people not open to help, so I wasn't going to say anything. But I agree as well.
If I went off bubble nests my two would still be sharing a 2.5 gallon with a ADF, snail, and oto :/ (petsmart told me this is just fine)
ammonia ahoy!!!

on a side note. It is not that betta NEED atleast 2 gallons to live in. It is the whole concept.
IF you were to upgrade your betta from his cup to a 5 gallon tank. You'd have an easier time cleaning it/maintaining water parameters and not to mention you'd have an easier time finding the most important thing for your betta. A HEATER!
98% of pet/fish stores in my area do NOT, i repeat do NOT carry in stock heaters for tanks smaller than 3 gallons. (i say 98% because there were a coupla I never didnt visit) And if they do, they are normally heaters like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...utm_medium=cse Of which to me seems like a very unreliable heater. You cannot adjust it/what if the water temp doesn't get high enough???
I've never wanted to bombard new fish keepers with "you have to change 100% of the water every week and do %50 twice a week" that seems like alotta work compared to Spike's 5.5 gallon that gets(normally without algae) 30% weekly and 50% monthly with vacuum.
Lastly, I'd rather make their efforts easy than make them have to order something online. They could be someone like me who prefers to go in store and have in hand THAT DAY the product my betta needs to thrive. Like the heaters. ALSO, say your heater busts and you happened to be there/saved your betta from getting fried. If your betta was in atleast a 2 gallon, you'd know your local store has your heater in stock/can buy it that day so your betta can comfortably recover.

That's just the few things I consider when talkn to a 1st time betta keeper.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 05-29-2012 at 01:14 PM.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #6192 
Kasablanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe View Post
I just might! What size KK did you use for that tank?
I thinks its a large or medium, not too sure lol
Kasablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #6193 
a123andpoof

Neil I do agree with you as I have noticed that in some of my betta's, but their are people whose bettas freak out in anything larger than a 1 gallon. this is my opionion, but I don't like people who tell someone that what they are doing is wrong. I keep fish in 1 gallons all the time with no problems. And if you go to walmart the 2-5 gallon heater works wonderfully in a 1 gallon.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #6194 
JennybugJennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
ammonia ahoy!!!

on a side note. It is not that betta NEED atleast 2 gallons to live in. It is the whole concept.
IF you were to upgrade your betta from his cup to a 5 gallon tank. You'd have an easier time cleaning it/maintaining water parameters and not to mention you'd have an easier time finding the most important thing for your betta. A HEATER!
98% of pet/fish stores in my area do NOT, i repeat do NOT carry in stock heaters for tanks smaller than 3 gallons. (i say 98% because there were a coupla I never didnt visit) And if they do, they are normally heaters like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...utm_medium=cse Of which to me seems like a very unreliable heater. You cannot adjust it/what if the water temp doesn't get high enough???
I've never wanted to bombard new fish keepers with "you have to change 100% of the water every week and do %50 twice a week" that seems like alotta work compared to Spike's 5.5 gallon that gets(normally without algae) 30% weekly and 50% monthly with vacuum.
Lastly, I'd rather make their efforts easy than make them have to order something online. They could be someone like me who prefers to go in store and have in hand THAT DAY the product my betta needs to thrive. Like the heaters. ALSO, say your heater busts and you happened to be there/saved your betta from getting fried. If your betta was in atleast a 2 gallon, you'd know your local store has your heater in stock/can buy it that day so your betta can comfortably recover.

That's just the few things I consider when talkn to a 1st time betta keeper.

Ammonia ahoy exactly :( they're all separate now <3
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #6195 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I and a few other members had already said this to BettaFishMaster but they insist that since their in los angeles they don't need a heater.
And that their fish are uber happy in there tanks based off the fact that they have built bubble nest

When I was 10, my bettas lived in teeny tiny tanks in Wisconsin where it does get extremely cold in the winter, because I didn't know any better, and they still built bubble nests. (This was 14 years ago..)

It's one thing to be ignorant. It's another to be stubborn.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #6196 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I'm in Australia, and I still need a heater. :p It's not just about warmth, it's about stability.

This. And I know for a fact Los Angeles is not always 78+ degrees.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #6197 
kfryman

I think more people need to start planting their tanks lol. That is the only reason why I look on this thread, to see planted tanks.

Bubblenests just mean they are marking territory or are ready to breed. They do not show how happy your betta is. Bright colors, swimming around fast, activeness can show how your bettas are doing. Happy bettas should be dooming around the tank, there are exceptions of course.

So what is worse an unheated tiny cup that doesn't get their water changed or a one gallon tank without a heater with water changes?

People need to calm down really, I find it annoying when people bash on you for doing something. They should have heaters, but it is way better then sitting in a cup with no room to swim. Enjoy fish keeping and educate not scream at them saying they need something.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #6198 
Shirleythebetta

Thank you! Where's some more pretty pictures?
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #6199 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I think more people need to start planting their tanks lol. That is the only reason why I look on this thread, to see planted tanks.

Bubblenests just mean they are marking territory or are ready to breed. They do not show how happy your betta is. Bright colors, swimming around fast, activeness can show how your bettas are doing. Happy bettas should be dooming around the tank, there are exceptions of course.

So what is worse an unheated tiny cup that doesn't get their water changed or a one gallon tank without a heater with water changes?

People need to calm down really, I find it annoying when people bash on you for doing something. They should have heaters, but it is way better then sitting in a cup with no room to swim. Enjoy fish keeping and educate not scream at them saying they need something.
No one was screaming or scolding them. There are way to portray your emotions online and many people use them. Some actually misuse them.

I've been wanting to plant my tanks. I'll probably end up tethering them plants to alotta decor, i tend to move stuff around so Spike isn't bored ;)
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #6200 
Shirleythebetta

That sounds nice I wish I could keep an aquatic plant alive.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank