Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #6531 
squidward89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
what is pictured is the popular 100W version.
Top Fin has been known to go out, bust open and get stuck on/fry your fish.
nice... see this is why i have to ask this stuff because i'd buy something and that would happen...

there's only so much cash and he was the last betta double fin he had blue water and lots of poop i think i did a good deed.. tomorrow is going to be like lower 80's so after work when i get to the bank i will get heaters.. at least i'm giving them a good home... instead of being trapped in some small cup left to dye.
squidward89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #6532 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward89 View Post
nice... see this is why i have to ask this stuff because i'd buy something and that would happen...

there's only so much cash and he was the last betta double fin he had blue water and lots of poop i think i did a good deed.. tomorrow is going to be like lower 80's so after work when i get to the bank i will get heaters.. at least i'm giving them a good home... instead of being trapped in some small cup left to dye.
I'ma do some math
The fish tank you bought appears to be similar to this tank: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11907004
So I'm going to aprox price your tank at $20. And your new betta, anywhere from $5-$10. So in total that is about $25-$30(not including taxes)
Right there, you could of afford to buy a heater for your current betta to make HIS living conditions even better right now(if I remember right he is having tail fin problems as well) and waited on the new one.
Just really upsets me.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #6533 
squidward89

Quote:
I'ma do some math
The fish tank you bought appears to be similar to this tank: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11907004
So I'm going to aprox price your tank at $20. And your new betta, anywhere from $5-$10. So in total that is about $25-$30(not including taxes)
Right there, you could of afford to buy a heater for your current betta to make HIS living conditions even better right now(if I remember right he is having tail fin problems as well) and waited on the new one.
Just really upsets me.
wow.. way to make me feel horrible after i'm so excited about my new fish..
i see pictures on here where the water is so cloudy..and i'm in the wrong? go harass someone else.. i think i'm doing okay.. they will be fine for one more night.. i only work until like 3. it will be done tomorrow.. you think i want to hurt them in any way? i just spent like $150 in two days on fish.. they will get what they need. they need the heater and it will get done.
you should be helping me with a heater that will not shock my fish..instead of looking up what money i spent today.

Last edited by squidward89; 06-27-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #6534 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Hey Squidward, don't get upset. I have 4 bettas and no heaters yet, I live in Arizona and my room is hot and so far the water temps never go under around 76, most times they are way above that. I just visited my family in New Jersey where you live - my brother in law has had a betta for 2 years with NO heater, NO filter, and he looks pretty good, although a bit bored. (I sent betta toys for him but it's not easy to convince people to take really good care of a betta when they both work, take care of a 1 and 3 year old, and the Petco people told them it's total b.s. that bettas need anything . ..

Anyway- all I am saying is that I DO spoil my bettas, but one day without a heater in the hot New Jersey summer will be FINE. If you didn't adopt him he would be sitting in a dirty cup at Petco with no heater or filter tonight. Get him a heater soon, sure, give him room, read up on how to make a betta happy. . .. but don't let people make you crazy because for one day you don't have a heater.

It's SUMMER. I was in NJ the other day and it was 100 degrees. Calm down, people.

I'm not getting heaters until the fall. My fish look beautiful, happy, active, brighter than when I got them, I learned a ton by reading, they each have their own tanks, caves, fake plants, real plants, thermometers, filters, bio-active filter material, peat granules for lower ph, Mopani wood for lowering the ph, filter baffles, leaf hammocks, aquarium salt, tank covers and lights, and 4 different kinds of food.

But I didn't get all that stuff in one day. It probably took me 2 months to get everything together and learn about what I needed.

Pet stores tell people bettas need barely anything, so it's not unusual for someone not to know what to get until they start googling and asking questions after they came home from the store with less than what they really needed for the poor fish.

Last edited by Byron; 06-28-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: deleted profanity
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #6535 
squidward89

thank you..
Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #6536 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
You are quite welcome. :)

We should try to take care of these bettas but let's not get crazy on someone - What I mean is that my nearest pet store is about a 2 minute drive from me. I have seen the same bettas in horrible little cups for over 6 weeks there. No one is heating them, and the air conditioning in those stores is pretty strong. I'm not saying we shouldn't care about their water temp, I am only saying that I have seen this before on this site- people lose it on someone who is new and has a betta for one or two nights without a heater. .. Come on. If someone is on this site they mean well and are trying to get information.

Also .. I didn't see anyone tell some of the people here who posted a pic of their TINY novelty betta bowls that that was wrong. I think putting a betta in a bowl that looks to be only one quart is much worse than a night or two in summer with no heater.

Last edited by mursey; 06-28-2012 at 12:02 AM.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #6537 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
It's SUMMER. I was in NJ the other day and it was 100 degrees. Calm down, people.
Please...be a little more respectful. I and many other users on this forum are only looking out for the welfare of the fish.
I live in FLORIDA. Have lived in FLORIDA and TEXAS my whole life. I only go up north to MAINE during FALL and WINTER to my hunting property for a maximum 1 month.
So I don't LIVE in NJ. I don't know the weather there. HOWEVER, I do know that weather ALWAYS changes. And one shouldn't just rely on hot weather to make sure their fish tanks are at the proper temperature. Alls it takes is a cloudy or rainy day to lower the water temperature. And yes, there are some bettas out there that will suddenly grow ill in water that isn't at the correct temperature.

ALSO, squidward89, unless you don't have an AC or keep your fish tanks outside, you should be buying a heater for BOTH fish. Your fish rely on YOU for everything. You can make yourself feel comfortable anytime.
I wasn't harassing you. I look out for the welfare of animals and when I see one animal's living conditions isn't par but yet the owner buys another animal and doesn't even bother to purchase the ONE thing their animal needs for their condition to be par. I have approached each member I've seen that has poor living conditions for their bettas.
What you see as cloudy water could be a very good explanation. Not just poor quality levels. Most of these users will recommend you getting a good quality heater because you shouldn't be relying on weather to regulate their water temps for you. LASTLY, I did tell you one of the best heaters to get AND where I purchased mine. AND I gave you links to TWO of the best thermometers to use.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-28-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: edit language in quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #6538 
squidward89

i told you i will get the heaters. and here's some more personal info about me.. i'm 23 i just moved out on my own in nj no less.. making close to minimum wage and affording everything. .. living in a one bedroom apt with one ac unit in one of the rooms! i saw some of ur pics of ur cats and dogs with collars too mc nutty.. thats not good for them! what if they jump a fence and hang themselves? i grew up with cats some were in and out door we never put collars on them!! CHANGE IT!... no one likes to be harassed. it's one thing to make a statement and suggest.. not tell people i'm disppionted you didn't buy 2 $30-50 heaters. it's none of your business what i do. when i do it. or what i spend... here's the jersey coming out i guess..
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #6539 
squidward89

Quote:
Please...be a little more respectful.
it's funny you say that towards mursey.. because you to me, are the rudest person on this site. everyone else was kind and friendly.. not pushy..
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #6540 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward89 View Post
i told you i will get the heaters. and here's some more personal info about me.. i'm 23 i just moved out on my own in nj no less.. making close to minimum wage and affording everything. .. living in a one bedroom apt with one ac unit in one of the rooms! i saw some of ur pics of ur cats and dogs with collars too mc nutty.. thats not good for them! what if they jump a fence and hang themselves? i grew up with cats some were in and out door we never put collars on them!! CHANGE IT!... no one likes to be harassed. it's one thing to make a statement and suggest.. not tell people i'm disppionted you didn't buy 2 $30-50 heaters. it's none of your business what i do. when i do it. or what i spend... here's the jersey coming out i guess..

I don't get pushy unless someone pushes me.
And really? You're really mature to start making fun of someone on here. Obiviously you've got some personal issues to do that.
By the way, ALL my animals have panic release collars. Thanks for the thought, I already thought of it before you did.

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank