Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #6601 
Atena

I find a water change to always be the first and easiest solution for just about anything... but don't lower it too fast or you might shock your fish.

Also, if it will just work its way back up it might be a better idea to find a way to cool the water.

Try turning the lights off, replacing the cover with something light and airy if you have a glass or other heavy cover.

The fan should help though, but it will take a while, which is actually a good thing.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #6602 
squidward89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atena View Post
I find a water change to always be the first and easiest solution for just about anything... but don't lower it too fast or you might shock your fish.

Also, if it will just work its way back up it might be a better idea to find a way to cool the water.

Try turning the lights off, replacing the cover with something light and airy if you have a glass or other heavy cover.

The fan should help though, but it will take a while, which is actually a good thing.
he's still acting regular nothing out of the norm i think i'm going to move him into the ac to cool him down more.
squidward89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #6603 
laoshun

^ don't even stress about it, 85 is not a bad temperature for your betta to be at. 90+ is when you start to get worried.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #6604 
lilyth88

I wouldn't move him. It'll just stress him out. Position fans if you can, but don't stress. 85 is fine.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #6605 
SweetNightmare

I live in Texas and I know some betta people that will take the heaters completely out on really hot days/weeks/months. We've had nearly two weeks of straight 100+ temperatures. x.x My heaters never kick on anymore, it's so hot.

Anyways, no new pics yet, need to put new plants in the 2.5, all I've got are some clumps of java ferns, a banana plant, and several pieces of dying bacopa, and some strands of anacharis. But I can't work on it at all cause I sprained my ankle. :( I can barely hobble over to feed my poor fishies.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #6606 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
No one was yelling at you....

Squidward, you can also use a regular fan as well.
Yup that's what I use on my tanks in my non-AC apartment when it gets hot. I discovered the trick by accident when I noticed how cold the water always was in one tank that was next to the fan I use for myself.

You can get little desktop fans at dollar stores or Staples for like $10 or less.

Also, check your power filters if you have them, some start getting hot once they're old or if the impeller needs to be cleaned or changed. I found an old power filter was heating up the water in one of my tanks. I cleaned it out but it's still getting warm, so I'm going to replace the tank. It's about 6 or 7 years old anyway and has a few design features I don't like (like impossible to use a standard hood with light).
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #6607 
Sena Hansler

What is really high is 90, and 95. And I have had that happen to my tanks. Try getting one of those cheapy dollar store ones you can flick on and off and tape it to the side of your tank :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #6608 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward89 View Post
maybe i should just do a 50 water change. and try to lower the water temp.
You could try that, but just make sure you don't make the new water too cold. You don't want to lower the temp by more than about 4-5 degrees F otherwise you could shock your fish.

I have an ongoing problem with high temps in my tanks (overheated apt in winter, no ac in summer), so I will sometimes do the water change method, as well as using fans. All of my tanks have heaters but I've had to turn them way down to like 75 F because the water is usually too warm.

I do have a window AC in my bedroom, so if this summer turns out to be too hot and I can't control the temps then I'll be moving them and possibly my tarantulas to my bedroom.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #6609 
Catie79

My new divided tank that I'm cycling.

The purple floating thing is a shrimp in a nylon to get things rolling. I couldn't find ammonia without other stuff mixed in.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #6610 
Sena Hansler

that works =D hahaha I have the same "tree stump" xD
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank