Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #6651 
Sena Hansler

Yeah, so I'm downsizing tanks (considering we're moving anyways) because I only need 3 tanks.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #6652 
hodgepodgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
Did some work on Modi's 2 gal Fluval Spec lately. Got him a cichlid stone cave, new gravel, two small carpets of Fissidens Fontanus (hopefully they'll grow in nicely) and an interesting piece of ADA driftwood. Now I'm trying to decide which species of moss to put on it.

Very nice tank! Does your water get brown from the tannin in the driftwood? I have a real problem with that...
hodgepodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #6653 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atena View Post
love them... how does putting the cord in a cup help in safety?
Should the tanks leak it is safe from the water.
I'm working on a cover to fit ontop of the cup.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #6654 
laoshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgepodgen View Post
Very nice tank! Does your water get brown from the tannin in the driftwood? I have a real problem with that...
you can keep the water brown or if u really are irritated by it u could boil the wood and or soak it until all the brown is out.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #6655 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
+10,000,000,000,000
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #6656 
deso

Thanks for the compliments, hodgepodgen and rainbowbettafish :)

Quote:
So yes, hodgepodgen, the water does turn pretty brown from the ADA driftwood, but it doesn't bother me. Actually, the betta seems to like it. Plus, the Atison's Betta Spa water conditioner that I've been using since before I got that driftwood turns the water a light tea colour anyhow, so I'm used to the look. Strangely enough, the other piece of driftwood with the Christmas moss on it never had the tannins problem.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #6657 
kfryman

This is the devils page...
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #6658 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments, hodgepodgen and rainbowbettafish :)

So yes, hodgepodgen, the water does turn pretty brown from the ADA driftwood, but it doesn't bother me. Actually, the betta seems to like it. Plus, the Atison's Betta Spa water conditioner that I've been using since before I got that driftwood turns the water a light tea colour anyhow, so I'm used to the look. Strangely enough, the other piece of driftwood with the Christmas moss on it never had the tannins problem.
i wonder if there is an element in the driftwood that creates the tannins/possibly makes the fish feel good.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #6659 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
i wonder if there is an element in the driftwood that creates the tannins/possibly makes the fish feel good.
Well, assuming that the tannins created by the driftwood are of the same sort produced by IAL, it definitely makes the fish feel good. It softens the water and makes them feel less "exposed". I also read that tannins have a slight antibacterial effect, but don't quote me on that. I'm going to make a rather daft comparison here: riding in a car through traffic with or without tinted windows.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #6660 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Well, assuming that the tannins created by the driftwood are of the same sort produced by IAL, it definitely makes the fish feel good. It softens the water and makes them feel less "exposed". I also read that tannins have a slight antibacterial effect, but don't quote me on that. I'm going to make a rather daft comparison here: riding in a car through traffic with or without tinted windows.
Where did you get your driftwood? I've been toying with the idea of getting one. My waters are a lil hard(literally a little) and I've heard hard water can melt betta fins.

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank