Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #6691 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
TYVM
Is the driftwood at petsmart actually on the shelves and not in a tank? I guess I may have been looking in the wrong places xD
Do you need to change the water more often? Or should it be fine?
I saw it on a shelf just an aisle or two over from the fish section. It was lose on the shelf with a tag on each. Sometimes the pieces are too big, so I check often.

If I soak the pieces for a few days, it takes some color out but it still leaves some in, the tank water will still be a little brownish. It looks better in the tanks I have with a background and a light. BUT- you could boil it, like some people say. I just didn't want to because I figured it would be fine if it was a little brackish. I think that maybe the wood does contribute to a little bit more of a dirty "look" though, sometimes there seem to be tiny wood particles on the floor of my tanks. I don't have any substrate though, to hide it.

In my case, I feel that y water will either be VERY hard or a little brackish looking. Our water here is very high ph/hard and I either use driftwood or peat moss granules to soften it, and both make the water brown. I don't know how else to naturally lower ph and our tap water and spring water are both higher than 8.

BTW here is a pic of one of my tanks I changed around recently. 5.5 gallon for Alejandro, I have a blue and orange theme for my room where he is.

Last edited by mursey; 07-13-2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: added a sentence
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #6692 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
BTW here is a pic of one of my tanks I changed around recently. 5.5 gallon for Alejandro, I have a blue and orange theme for my room where he is.
I don't usually go for non-natural tanks, but something about your aquarium makes me smile. Reminds me of Finding Nemo

By the way, if that's a real seashell floating up in the right-hand corner, you should remove it because it'll alter your pH, most likely making it higher than it already is.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #6693 
happypappy

a nana anubis would give him a place to sleep --- easy to grow and it can just float!
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #6694 
Atena

thelaserluke, looks awesome... maybe a cave of some sorts for your fishie to hide in?

Love all the color Mursey!

Last edited by Atena; 07-13-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #6695 
LilMzGypsy

This is a close up of my 10 gallon tank with my betta Vegas! There are so many awesome tanks in this thread! :") I love all the different styles there are!
LilMzGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #6696 
FishyFishy89

How cute. What is that vegas sign?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #6697 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atena View Post
aww... she is so pretty. Is that tank big enough for her if she is a giant?
I watched my giant for a day or so and decided she might be better off in a 5 gal. So today while I was cleaning tanks I swapped her with Hugo (small HMPK male) and he is now in the tank in my pic.

She likes to swim in the current from the outflow of the filter, so I turned up the flow a bit and she loves it. I don't have a name for her yet. I will get more pics soon.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #6698 
LilMzGypsy

FishyFishy it's a porcelain piggy bank. :")

There really isn't much Las Vegas aquarium decor out there, so I had to get creative. Hahaha!
LilMzGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #6699 
clopez1

I posted this in my tank upgrade post but figured why not put it here too.
Attached Images

clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #6700 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
I don't usually go for non-natural tanks, but something about your aquarium makes me smile. Reminds me of Finding Nemo

By the way, if that's a real seashell floating up in the right-hand corner, you should remove it because it'll alter your pH, most likely making it higher than it already is.
I am transitioning some of my tanks to mostly driftwood and plants, but this tank doesn't have a strong light so I didn't know if plants would be ok in there.

Oh it's not a shell - it's a sort of hammock I made covered with aquarium sand. I did read about the shell/ph thing a while ago and made sure not to use any shells. But advice always appreciated, I didn't know that for a while.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank