Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #6771 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake3698 View Post
This is my tank and my new fish PoPo, just put him in about thirty minutes ago. He has been exploring his small home nonstop. It is only about 2 gallons, i do not have room for much else yet, hoping to upgrade him to a five gallon with a couple other random fish later on.
RANDOM FISH

You mean like shrimp and snails, please tell me....bettas only tolerate those as tank mates, nothing else really. They are SOLITARY fish....

Love your betta and tank though!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #6772 
Jake3698
New Member
 
Jake3698's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
RANDOM FISH

You mean like shrimp and snails, please tell me....bettas only tolerate those as tank mates, nothing else really. They are SOLITARY fish....

Love your betta and tank though!
I know the basic rules like no other finned fish, and no colorful fish. I was going to get a couple small shrimp and i remember reading that bottom feeders work well, as they clean the tank and usually stay away from the Betta.
That's not for months and months though.
Jake3698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #6773 
Orpheus92
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Please be sure to double check their gender. Males are very aggressive and it is quite rare for females to have long tails
Lastly, just for sake of the girls(if they turn out to really be girls) I'd upgrade to a 15 gallon or a 20 gallon long. The space gives them more territory to claim as their own and more space to hide in. I *think* your 10 gallon is min size. But I feel they would be more comfortable in the larger tank to establish their own space.
I love the scenery you have going. I have that same gator skull. My Spike wuves it ;)
So your fish likes to swim in the crevices of gater teeth too! :D I was worried about the temperature, I do not have a heater and am worried about them. Should I be more concerned about this or a filter? Don't have one of those either. But they at first were all quite aggressive and nipped at each other for the first night they were together. But soon after that, they all got along and swim and rest near each other, with only one fish doing the nipping. All the others avoid her, and she is the one with the shortest fins too!

I'll upgrade to a larger tank indeed when more of the ol' greenbacks come a rollin' in ;)
Orpheus92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #6774 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake3698 View Post
I know the basic rules like no other finned fish, and no colorful fish. I was going to get a couple small shrimp and i remember reading that bottom feeders work well, as they clean the tank and usually stay away from the Betta.
That's not for months and months though.
Oh lol good for you! Be sure to post pics!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #6775 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Also be careful... It look like you don't have a filter so I'm guessing your tank isn't cycled... The ammonia will build up VERY fast with 7 girls.. When I tried a sorority I only had 4 in a 10 gal.

What temp does the tank stay at? I would worry I it is under 75 degrees. Although they thrive at 78-80 degrees so I would definitely get a heater regardless.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #6776 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus92 View Post
So your fish likes to swim in the crevices of gater teeth too! :D I was worried about the temperature, I do not have a heater and am worried about them. Should I be more concerned about this or a filter? Don't have one of those either. But they at first were all quite aggressive and nipped at each other for the first night they were together. But soon after that, they all got along and swim and rest near each other, with only one fish doing the nipping. All the others avoid her, and she is the one with the shortest fins too!

I'll upgrade to a larger tank indeed when more of the ol' greenbacks come a rollin' in ;)

Mine LOVED that gator skull. Until I got him a live plant. Now he loves the plants and has ditched all decor xD
I myself would be more concerned on getting a heater. Filters really don't do any good unless you're cycling a tank. The filter hold beneficial bacteria. Do you have a thermometer of some sort that you can stick in the tank? Turkey thermometer's work just as great. Your LPSs also sell good ones for a great price. The best ones that look like an actual thermometer with a suction cup. Don't go for the ones that stick on the outside.
As far as heaters. Go for a good quality heater. Hydro is one of the best. Marineland and Top Fin aren't very good. There always busting, not heating up properly, or getting stuck on and frying your fish. If you're going to upgrade them I'd wait and get the "sets" so you don't have to buy a separate filter ;)

So with not having a filter. I think 50% weekly water changes would be best. Correct me if I'm wrong gals....and guys xD
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #6777 
LugiaChan
Member
 
LugiaChan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
[quote=lissienen;1161213]This first one is my current pride and joy, my 20-gallon long divided up into four sections. It's also based off of houses from the book series A Song of Ice and Fire (or Game of Thrones for people who've only seen the television show). It goes Greyjoy, Dayne, Martell and Manderly.


[quote]

You have TOTALLY inspired me to do this myself :D :D :D :D THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!! WOOOOO this will be so fun!!! SWEET!
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #6778 
mursey
Member
 
mursey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus92 View Post
Hello, this is my new tank with 7 girls ! They seem to be hiding in the picture, but I have some very pretty gals with long fins and beautiful blue and red colours!
Who would have thought that many colors would be so cute? :)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #6779 
Orpheus92
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Also be careful... It look like you don't have a filter so I'm guessing your tank isn't cycled... The ammonia will build up VERY fast with 7 girls.. When I tried a sorority I only had 4 in a 10 gal.

What temp does the tank stay at? I would worry I it is under 75 degrees. Although they thrive at 78-80 degrees so I would definitely get a heater regardless.
Thank you, today I have purchased a heater as well a filter. The company is called TetraO. The filter is quiet and the heater shuts itself on and off, seems swell. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Mine LOVED that gator skull. Until I got him a live plant. Now he loves the plants and has ditched all decor xD
I myself would be more concerned on getting a heater. Filters really don't do any good unless you're cycling a tank. The filter hold beneficial bacteria. Do you have a thermometer of some sort that you can stick in the tank? Turkey thermometer's work just as great. Your LPSs also sell good ones for a great price. The best ones that look like an actual thermometer with a suction cup. Don't go for the ones that stick on the outside.
As far as heaters. Go for a good quality heater. Hydro is one of the best. Marineland and Top Fin aren't very good. There always busting, not heating up properly, or getting stuck on and frying your fish. If you're going to upgrade them I'd wait and get the "sets" so you don't have to buy a separate filter ;)

So with not having a filter. I think 50% weekly water changes would be best. Correct me if I'm wrong gals....and guys xD
The filter and heater I got can work with a size 15 gallon tank so I suppose I can still upgrade and use the same contraptions. But at any rate, you were right about the tank being too small, today I found my little one dead with a hole in her belly! :( I thought about putting the dominant one in something separate, But now she's avoiding all the other fish and not being an instigator. So I'm playing it by ear until she starts poking at the others. I wish I knew about this whole ordeal instead of listening to someone who said get at least 7 to spread out the aggression". They are happy to have the heater anyways, they look like their having a fishy council meeting around it.

But it's nice to know your fish appreciate your live plants instead of the decor, it's like when your a kid and mom makes something complicated it's no interest indifference. But then she pulls out spagettio's and it's oh boy! What a treat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
Who would have thought that many colors would be so cute? :)
Aw shucks, thanks
Orpheus92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #6780 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus92 View Post
Thank you, today I have purchased a heater as well a filter. The company is called TetraO. The filter is quiet and the heater shuts itself on and off, seems swell. :)
You sure it is a TetraO and not Tetra?
Did you also get a thermometer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus92 View Post
The filter and heater I got can work with a size 15 gallon tank so I suppose I can still upgrade and use the same contraptions. But at any rate, you were right about the tank being too small, today I found my little one dead with a hole in her belly! :( I thought about putting the dominant one in something separate, But now she's avoiding all the other fish and not being an instigator. So I'm playing it by ear until she starts poking at the others. I wish I knew about this whole ordeal instead of listening to someone who said get at least 7 to spread out the aggression". They are happy to have the heater anyways, they look like their having a fishy council meeting around it.
That's good that the ones you purchased can work for the larger tank. You might even be able to push it for a 20 gallon long tank. You don't know if it was the aggression that killed the girl. She could of not been feeling good. And bettas being omnivores they likely indulged. I do feel you loss and hopefully things will work themselves out.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new 10 gallon home for my 2 rescued bettas<3 Wed Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 15 11-18-2010 05:46 PM
New home for my boys (pics) marshall2288 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 11 05-30-2009 09:49 PM
Maybe some of Vegans rescue bettas home... Livelifelaughlove Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 3 04-03-2009 04:30 PM
Where did the thread go for Betta tank/home pics? anastasiavixen Betta Pictures 3 04-02-2009 03:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.