Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #7641 
FishyFishy89

Small algae infestation. Might give a coupla shrimps or snails a new home. I'll have to stuff some more plants in there to give them a hiding corner from the Spike the Fierce.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #7642 
acadialover

Hey Fishy, love your tank. what size is it / what kind of light do you have /
Thanks. How long have you had your plants ?
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #7643 
acadialover

That is a beautiful bowl, aokahi. Do you heat your bowls / Do you ind it easy to keep healthy bettas in them ? Do they all have plants ?How often and how do y ou clean them with the plants and Betta ?
Thanks
Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #7644 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganJo215 View Post
3 months later, this is how much the plants have grown!! :) lol So, I will be taking out the big one on the right and putting it in my other betta tank. :) Also, this weekend I will be doing some major cleaning. I hate that the colors look all washed out in this photo. The plants are actually vivid green, but they look sickly here... weird. lol

Attachment 68219

I loooove your tank!! And where did you get the staircase?
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #7645 
acadialover

Megan,
How do you clean the tank with the plants and sand ? do you get any dead air pockets in the sand ? What ferts do you use ? How long is your light on , what kind of light ?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #7646 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Fishless NPT.
I got a free 1 gallon drum :)
water is still kind of cloudy. waiting for params to even out and plants to settle in.

My gosh that is beautiful! I want them all over my house!!!

Are they easy to maintain? I want to get like 1 or 2 for my bookshelf. Most I'd do is set it up as a npt and get some cherry shrimp. My hubby believes 1 betta is enough bettas >.<

Also, I found out my neighbor has 2 bettas!!!
They are both VT, one kind of looks like ciroc but has a little more blue.

There are few downfalls though...

He has them in vases -.-
So I'm giving him my 5 gallon since I can't do anything with it and I'm going to divide it with a solid black divider and whenever my plants grown in I'll give him and another friend of mine the clippings.. doesn't petsmart have dividers?
I'm probably going later today to get a light, root tabs, more plants, wafers thats been WAAAYYY overdue and whatever else strikes my fancy :3

He doesn't have a heater or a filter either but he keeps up with water changes, I went there yesterday, the water was merky and I was explaining how a vase is too small and he agreed to so he is trying to be a good betta owner :D
I also went back later that evening and the water was crystal clear C:
But I was thinking of giving him my extra heater too but I need it for my 1g hospital pitcher that ciroc is in right now [his fin rot came back! should I get some stress coat or something besides aq salt? I've been donig daily water changes w/ 1 ts per gallon aq salt]

He keeps his apartment pretty toasty though. While I was there I started to break a sweat! So the temps should be fine for now right? Atleast till I can get the 5 gallon ready for him.
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #7647 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadialover View Post
Hey Fishy, love your tank. what size is it / what kind of light do you have /
Thanks. How long have you had your plants ?
Thanks! My tank is 5.5 gallons and i use a broad spectrum flourscent bulb. Ive had ny plants between 6 months to a year.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #7648 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadialover View Post
That is a beautiful bowl, aokahi. Do you heat your bowls / Do you ind it easy to keep healthy bettas in them ? Do they all have plants ?How often and how do y ou clean them with the plants and Betta ?
Thanks

With NPTs, I never clean. this one I'm not done planting yet... so I will be getting more smaller plants for it soon, But I am really waiting for the soil to settle. I dont keep my betta in there :) but you certainly can keep a long finned one in one of these bowls. Heating is pretty easy. I use a 25w hagen elite "preset" heater. I've used it in 1/2 gallons with great success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKourtneyYoC8 View Post
My gosh that is beautiful! I want them all over my house!!!
Are they easy to maintain? I want to get like 1 or 2 for my bookshelf. Most I'd do is set it up as a npt and get some cherry shrimp. My hubby believes 1 betta is enough bettas >.<

Also, I found out my neighbor has 2 bettas!!!
They are both VT, one kind of looks like ciroc but has a little more blue.

There are few downfalls though...

He has them in vases -.-
So I'm giving him my 5 gallon since I can't do anything with it
Maintianance is really up to you. I let all my tank grow as messy as they like. this particular one, I am thinking of keeping rili shrimps in (similar to cherry shrimps)

Plants are great. I have my scud and seedshrimp jar which has never had its water changed. a few stalks of naja grass keeps the water clean. Scuds and seedshrimps need pristine water to breed and survive so the plants have been doing a great job on that.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #7649 
acadialover

I have three betta's in 5 gall.(one in each tank ) hated filtered tanks and just have a heck of a time keeping the water clean enough not to invite finrot... I have plants and eco complete as substrate. ARGH..... If I don't clean every other day (vacuum) then it starts to happen.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #7650 
FishyFishy89

New hidy corner for the shrimpies. Need name ideas. Must be along the lines of pineball machines. Something that deals with their back n forth speedy movement.

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank