Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #8311 
Fenghuang

Really like the decorations you have there. Even the vase looks so nice and homely. But aren't tiger barbs schooling fish?
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #8312 
FishiFrances

They are. I originally had 3 to start out the cycle on my tank, calling them Larry, Curly and Mo just because of how goofy they are. 2 of the poor dears didn't make it past 2 weeks (they were much smaller and someone at Petco gave me bad information for a water dechlorinator that pretty much poisoned them). This one barb is the only one that survived my cycling process. I've been meaning to get him some new buddies but either my schedule ends up against me (have to get them on a day off since I ride the bus right now and 2 1/2 hours in the bag is NOT the best thing for them on my way home from work) or the store is out of them (happened to me twice now). I am still planning on getting a couple more soon. But for now, I've been keeping my betta in there for more company than the pleco can offer. Lol.
FishiFrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #8313 
Crowntails

Tiger Barbs should be in at least a school of 8, 12 is must better though.

Here's the tank: Name:  IMG_20130121_094737.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  50.9 KB It use to be home to my Crowntail betta Kai, but he sadly passed before I got a picture.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #8314 
Fenghuang

I see. Your tiger barb sounds cute, but I'm sure a large school of them would be much more interesting to watch. :)

Be careful with the pleco though, the most pleco species get fairly big and require very large tanks. He could quickly outgrow your 10 gallon.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #8315 
FishiFrances

I'm prepared for the pleco. The pet store that I got him from is willing to trade him out with me for a smaller one when he gets too big. And I was informed that the barbs were fine as long as there were at least 3. But I wouldn't mind having 7 or 9 of them (odd schools do better, right?). But is that too many fish for a 10gal? (Once I get my female betta out of there, of course.)

And nice tank Crowntails. I love the sprig of blue in there. I'm sorry your little one passed away! Are you planning on getting a new one soon?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #8316 
Crowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishiFrances View Post
I'm prepared for the pleco. The pet store that I got him from is willing to trade him out with me for a smaller one when he gets too big. And I was informed that the barbs were fine as long as there were at least 3. But I wouldn't mind having 7 or 9 of them (odd schools do better, right?). But is that too many fish for a 10gal? (Once I get my female betta out of there, of course.)

And nice tank Crowntails. I love the sprig of blue in there. I'm sorry your little one passed away! Are you planning on getting a new one soon?
Thank you! Yeah I miss my old betta. I am getting a new one soon

Tiger Barbs need a minimum of a school of 7 and a 20 gallon looooong tank. 10 gallons is way to small for them and they will attack your betta.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #8317 
FishiFrances

Oh, yeah. The betta is in a breeding net right now. I only had her in there to use the cycled setup for some fin healing on her. She's been healed for about a week now, but I just haven't gotten her a decent sized home for herself yet. And I called the petstore to see if they had anymore green tiger barbs in stock at the moment, and I got my fish lady. I asked her about a school of barbs, and she says that most people get them in larger quantities, but that they can be happy and content with a smaller school. I'm so confused! What makes them better in a huge group versus a handful? Is it something in their temperment? (She didn't have an explanation, just said 'experience' was how she knew.) I'm gonna do some research. Because I don't want to get rid of my little green man, but I cannot get another large tank until after we move in August. I'm scared of moving my 10gal as it is. Plus, I think the boyfriend would kill me. Lol.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #8318 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishiFrances View Post
Oh, yeah. The betta is in a breeding net right now. I only had her in there to use the cycled setup for some fin healing on her. She's been healed for about a week now, but I just haven't gotten her a decent sized home for herself yet. And I called the petstore to see if they had anymore green tiger barbs in stock at the moment, and I got my fish lady. I asked her about a school of barbs, and she says that most people get them in larger quantities, but that they can be happy and content with a smaller school. I'm so confused! What makes them better in a huge group versus a handful? Is it something in their temperment? (She didn't have an explanation, just said 'experience' was how she knew.) I'm gonna do some research. Because I don't want to get rid of my little green man, but I cannot get another large tank until after we move in August. I'm scared of moving my 10gal as it is. Plus, I think the boyfriend would kill me. Lol.
What makes a larger group better if the "peaking" order isn't so strict. In a group of 3 the dominate fish only has 2 fish to pick on. In a larger group, the stress from the dominate fish is lessened and 1 fish doesn't get picked on as much as he would in a group of 3. That's just 1 reason why it's better.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #8319 
Fenghuang

Schooling fish are more passive and peaceful in large groups. When there are only a few individuals, they tend to be more aggressive and prone to fin nipping. A lot of schooling fish, including the tiger barb, also set up a hierarchy within their shoal like female bettas do. So, the smaller the school, the more likely one will get picked on and beaten up.

EDIT: FishyFriend89 beat me to it.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #8320 
FishiFrances

Lol. Thanks guys. Yeah, off of 3 other forums and 6 other websites, it seems the 8 to 9 consensus is at least 5 of them to keep the peace. Some people reccommended 30+gallons for them and some said 15. Two very different numbers. I know they're very active fish, and I have a fairly open tank... But will 5 do okay in my 10 gal til after August? I know that 5 together will do okay, but 10 gal be sufficient water mass? I'm in love with these fish and definitely plan on keeping some around, but I can't upgrade that far at this precise moment.

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank