Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #8481 
Agility4fun

I'm sure we'll see more defects popping up since there is so much breeding just for color.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #8482 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
:) It might be genetics but just in case: Here's what I did that you should probably never do-
I read some DIY websites where people use shoplights (those clip-on bright aluminum looking lights you get at a hardware store) to grow plants. This one site had a photo of 3 large lights on top of a tank. Well I used just a Target desk lamp to light his 5 gallon heavily planted tank but I think until he went blind and I really looked right into that light bulb. . I didn't realize how FREAKING bright that could be to a little fish.

So just in case guys. . . don't improvise lighting too much unless you know what you're doing :/

Agility- maybe so .. but my guy is just a little Petco guy. He seemed young too. I would prefer it wasn't my fault but . . well who knows?
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #8483 
Kiara1125

True ... but with those bright lights, I would've had some floating plant on top. My bettas never had trouble pushing through duckweed or amazon frogbit for air. Course, if those plants burn, then you KNOW that the light is too bright.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #8484 
Tabbie82

@Kiara1125- Thank you! That's my Feng. When I saw him in the store, I knew he had to come home with me... He had been there for a long time and was tucked away in a corner. He was just too pretty to not bring home! As for the plant, I am not sure. It is a fake one that I bought at Petsmart when I set that tank up... I bought it mainly for its size.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #8485 
Kiara1125

Aww ... It looked like a living beauty! xD still, your welcome! He's gorgeous. Is he a dragon? I look at bettas all the time and the ones tucked away in the corners are my favorites. That's how I found my dragon female (avatar) at Walmart. Walmart! My Walmart only carries the blue and red veiltails. Nothing else. I'm sooo happy I found her. :D
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #8486 
mursey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
True ... but with those bright lights, I would've had some floating plant on top. My bettas never had trouble pushing through duckweed or amazon frogbit for air. Course, if those plants burn, then you KNOW that the light is too bright.
He did have a ton of plants and hiding places. He had floating plants, little betta home to hide in , driftwood, etc. So I guess he wasn't FORCED to stare at the lights, and the floating plants didn't look abnormal . . the snails were normal. . but it just seems suspicious that he went blind some time after I started using that light.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #8487 
Kiara1125

I know this is random, but I LOVE the tags. xD
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #8488 
Kiara1125

Hmm ... How many watts was it and what type of holder was it in? What type of light did you say it was? Was it an incandescent?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #8489 
Tabbie82

@Kiara1125- Yep, he is a dragon. Your girl is a beauty! I love that deep red with light blue. You found her at Walmart?? That's amazing! I have stopped looking at the Bettas at our Walmart because they are in such horrible condition. I have complained to the manager to no avail and I have just stopped shopping there altogether after my last visit. It just breaks my heart to see them treated poorly and I want to take them all home, but I know it won't help... They'll just restock the shelves and think that they did something right since they sold all of the fish. You definitely lucked out on her, though! She's wonderful!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #8490 
mursey

My Walmart seems to have stopped selling bettas, thank god. They were all so sickly looking.

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank