Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #8641 
BettaKing1997

Bettas are jumpers? Wow. I'm going to get some Saran Wrap and do as you say. Immediately. Thanks so much.
BettaKing1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #8642 
Kithy

The more you can give him the better but there are some decent kits at pet stores or even walmart that are at least 3gallons. They usually come with under gravel filters, lights and decor. I think I saw a 3g at Walmart lastnight for $30.

The thing with fish is they basically excrete ammonia and in a small tank it can build up fast which can make your fish sick. In a week my 10gallon will have maybe .25 ammonia at the maximum, which is why I change the water, basically. So it's not as much about giving them space to swim (although that is part of it) it's about how many water changes you really have to do. The smaller the tank the more you have to do. The bigger it is the less frequently you have to change it from the ammonia/nitrite buildup.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #8643 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaKing1997 View Post
Bettas are jumpers? Wow. I'm going to get some Saran Wrap and do as you say. Immediately. Thanks so much.
Yep! Mine gets super excited when I go to feed him and will nearly jump out of his tank so make sure you keep it covered (don't forget the air holes though, use a pen)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #8644 
Agility4fun

I lost my last Betta because he jumped through a 1" gap.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #8645 
AyalaCookiejar

The three gallons I've seen at Walmart are not a good shape since they are tall and skinny with little surface area. They have standard 5 and 10 gallon kits for $30. The 5 gallons have adjustable filters with a nice low flow that causes almost no water movement, but the hoods are cheap and they can't support live plants at all.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #8646 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
The three gallons I've seen at Walmart are not a good shape since they are tall and skinny with little surface area. They have standard 5 and 10 gallon kits for $30. The 5 gallons have adjustable filters with a nice low flow that causes almost no water movement, but the hoods are cheap and they can't support live plants at all.
I love how those little kits say you can have gold fish in them. Showed it to my husband yesterday and he just laughed.

Petco/Petsmart is probably a better choice for a small tank setup overall. I got my 10g at Walmart though, just the tank-no frills.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #8647 
Agility4fun

I'm pretty happy with my Marina 2.65g
Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #8648 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, those little 3 gallons have bubblers and tbh I don't think they are good tanks for ANY fish, since they are too small for all fish but bettas and they are too tall and narrow for a Betta. I do like the low flow on walmarts 5 gallon kits' filters, but the filters themselves suck anyways (and the cartridges are a joke. Works best if you just replace them with filter sponge). They wouldn't be all that bad if the hoods weren't cheap plastic with a stupid insert for those tiny LED strips. I had to buy a new hood for my 10 gallon and it costed more than the entire 5 gallon kits do. But walmarts 5.5 and 10 gallons are standard tanks. The kits are cheap, would be okay if you didn't ever plan on having live plants. But Petco/petsmart just have a bigger variety, better heaters/food/everything else, so going to one of them is just killing two birds with one stone. Walmart only sells tetra pellets and preset heaters and they don't have the filter sponge or silk plants... Unfortunately, walmarts all I have in town so I had to order all of my accessories online. I wish there was one place that just had everything... Besides what I've got from Walmart, I've ordered things from 6 different sources online. You don't even want to know how much I spent in total on shipping alone (especially since two orders were live fish with express shipping).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #8649 
Agility4fun

I have live plants in mine and everything seems to be going swimmingly.

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=35791
Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #8650 
Kwomais

Agi, I love that tank shape, what is it? (The tank, I mean)
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank