Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #8881 
AyalaCookiejar

I'd have to get rid of some crap to make room for more tanks. My Super Nintendo is on te floor between the mini fridge and the wall, and the other side of my bed is up against a wall. The place where my mushroom chair is at has a door on either side of it and the door to my room is right next to my brothers tank. I have two closets, one is where the power box to the house is located so I can't put anything in front of those doors. I want my brother to take his tank to his new house so I can move my ten gallon to there and have some more room (his tank had two loaches and a pleco and they hide 24/7 besides feeding time so it literally looks like its an empty tank). And I still don't have a fish in the tank on the left because I'm floating my plant QT tanks in there now and I was cycling the tank.

I'm just concerned about having to move all my tanks when I move out of my house. The college I'm going to doesnt allow fish in the dorms so naturally I'm getting an apartment instead despite my parents thinking its a bad idea. But that will mean more room, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #8882 
Batmantha

Is anyone here using sand in their tanks? Do you find it hard to clean and what sort of sand do you use?
Batmantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #8883 
mermaid77

OK, finally I feel OK about posting my Inuyasha's new and improved home on here...he's my first and in the short month that I've had him, he's gone from a 1,5g w/silk plant and blue glass marbles to a 5g w/silk plants, white gravel and hollow log decor to a now planted tank with black sand and Greek/Roman temple...His color really pops in there now (thanks again to the forum members who made the suggestion in my thread! ), I'm loving it and so is he!!! He's especially diggin' the darker substrate I think because he ventures to the bottom a lot more than he used to. I've caught him resting under the anubias plant a time or two, but the hammock (no worries, metal wire removed) is still his fave now that the filter is running (that used to be THE spot before I was able to baffle it enough to run it lol ).
It's not overcrowded, is it? I was thinking of maybe adding some frogbit to float around...
Attached Images

mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #8884 
mermaid77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmantha View Post
Is anyone here using sand in their tanks? Do you find it hard to clean and what sort of sand do you use?
Hi there, I recently made the switch from gravel to sand...I was worried about the difficulty of cleaning it as well...The vacuuming isn't bad, however, I must say the initial cleaning of it is...I went with black and it requires A LOT of rinsing before it stops clouding the water...I used the Petco brand, which is essentially ground up gravel and I hated the chemically smell of it...
Another thing I don't like about it is that some will float back to the surface after a water change and needs to be knocked back down lest your fish will mistake it for pellets lol. Other than that I do love how it looks, but I dread the mess if I ever decide to switch the substrate again lol
I hear pool sand might be the better way to go...less hassle to clean and no floating back up and such...
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #8885 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid77 View Post
Hi there, I recently made the switch from gravel to sand...I was worried about the difficulty of cleaning it as well...The vacuuming isn't bad, however, I must say the initial cleaning of it is...I went with black and it requires A LOT of rinsing before it stops clouding the water...I used the Petco brand, which is essentially ground up gravel and I hated the chemically smell of it...
Another thing I don't like about it is that some will float back to the surface after a water change and needs to be knocked back down lest your fish will mistake it for pellets lol. Other than that I do love how it looks, but I dread the mess if I ever decide to switch the substrate again lol
I hear pool sand might be the better way to go...less hassle to clean and no floating back up and such...

I do like gravel in the betta and tropical tank but I'm looking at getting an aqua one 25' horizon for an axolotl and they prefer sand but yeah I've never worked with it before and I would love to get black sand because i want to go black and green naturalish look but trying to find sand has bee alot harder than I thought
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #8886 
royal

Look in the reptile section of your pet store
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #8887 
RiceFish

5.5 Gallon Tank with driftwood, mossball, wisteria, jungle val, micosword, java fern, and pygmy chain sword
Attached Images

RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #8888 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I'm just concerned about having to move all my tanks when I move out of my house. The college I'm going to doesnt allow fish in the dorms so naturally I'm getting an apartment instead despite my parents thinking its a bad idea. But that will mean more room, lol.
Just make sure that the apartments you want allow tanks as well. I've run into a few that don't allow tanks unless they're under 5 gallons.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #8889 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post
Look in the reptile section of your pet store
The reptile section of my locals are a little pathetic their idea of a reptile is hermit crabs nothing else but I'll have a look

Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #8890 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmantha View Post
The reptile section of my locals are a little pathetic their idea of a reptile is hermit crabs nothing else but I'll have a look

The betta section of my LFS is what is pathetic. My LFS has an AMAZING reptile section. I want a snake so bad, but my grandma is so afraid of them, lol.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank