Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #9271 
BlackStripes

Madonna seems to be hiding. He doesn't like camera flash too much, but I don't like the lighting in my tank. If anyone would like to PM me with lighting possibilities for my Betta tank that would be great. I haven't really come across any topics with this information yet.

BlackStripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #9272 
AyalaCookiejar

Are there tinted light covers on those lights? For live plants, fluorescent lights are usually recommended at 6500k but IMO, I like fluorescent lights better than incandescent even without live plants. It's whiter and brighter and the incandescents are usually yellowish.

I just put my fluorescent lamps next to my tanks for pictures :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #9273 
BlackStripes

The tank was free when I got it.
They're incandescent amber lights (the flash on my phone cancels out the amber light), which I'm planning on replacing soon.
I want to get some live plants for my tank. I was thinking of getting a flat canopy and a nice florescent lighting system, but I wasn't sure how much light would be too much for a Betta. I really like the florescent lighting on my 36 gallon, the water is so clear you'd think it was air.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #9274 
AyalaCookiejar

How big is the tank? A while back, I found some 10watt 6500K daylight bulbs really cheap at Walmart that worked in my hood that had incandescent bulbs. It looked just like yours. Of course then the hood broke and one of the lights didn't work so I had to replace the whole thing. My hood now has a 15watt 6500K daylight bulb in it. It's the long tube like bulb.

You want approximately 2 watts per gallon, but mine is a ten gallon so it only has 1.5 per gallon and my plants are growing. I'm a plant noob but my water sprite, java moss, java fern, Anubias and hornwort are doing well. I even have rotala indica that's growing and it's considered a higher light plant.

Plants do wonders for water quality! I just have regular gravel in my tank.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #9275 
BlackStripes

We just switched the old gravel out for some sand too, lol.

It's just a ten gallon tank. The boyfriend said we need to get a new light so I might just replace the whole top and keep that one for emergencies.

For a plant noob you seem to know what you're doing, lol. Mind if I keep in touch with you for when I get my separate ten gallon for planting?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #9276 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't mind at all :)

Since I'm a noob, I only really know about beginner plants so if you are planning on starting with those I could help you out. If you want to go all out with a fancy lighting system, CO2 system or an NPT, there are many more experienced members here on the forum lol :)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #9277 
Sharpchick

The senior betta is Dubya, a male crowntail. He lives in a 10 gallon tank with 3 ADFs. They supply him with constant snacks in the form of 3 or 4 day old tadpoles.

Then there are Lucky (male crowntail) and Ivan the Terrible (he was originally going to be the gorgeous halfmoon centerpiece fish in a 20 gallon peaceful community tank, until he took all the peace right out of it). They live in Aqueon Evolve 4s.
Lucky

Ivan

The newest member of the boys' club is a doubletail male my grandkids named Papa Smurf. He lives in a planted and heated 3 gallon vase (2.5 gallons of water).
Papa Smurf
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #9278 
hoku

Hi all! I'm new to the hobby and it didn't take me long to become quite addicted (and broke).
10G Sorority:

Faber's 4G (Just rescued him from the smallest cup on Earth last night!) It's a bit barren, but once I can muster up some money I plan on matching it a bit more to my sorority:
hoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #9279 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
The senior betta is Dubya, a male crowntail. He lives in a 10 gallon tank with 3 ADFs. They supply him with constant snacks in the form of 3 or 4 day old tadpoles.

Then there are Lucky (male crowntail) and Ivan the Terrible (he was originally going to be the gorgeous halfmoon centerpiece fish in a 20 gallon peaceful community tank, until he took all the peace right out of it). They live in Aqueon Evolve 4s.
Lucky

Ivan

The newest member of the boys' club is a doubletail male my grandkids named Papa Smurf. He lives in a planted and heated 3 gallon vase (2.5 gallons of water).
Papa Smurf
Gorgeous tanks, love the plants and those white rocks, they're so pretty!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #9280 
shinitakin

Finally got over his bloating issues and back into the tank! [2.5 Minibow]

shinitakin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank