Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #9431 
MistersMom

lmao ill bet she wont mind pretending,
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #9432 
LilFins

Hi guys! First time poster here :) This is my betta's planted 5 gallon that he shares with 3 ghost shrimp. It's a bit of a mess right now, but I have big plans in the works. I'm sorry for the poor picture quality by the way. My camera is down right now so I had to take this with my phone. Thanks for looking!
Attached Images

Last edited by LilFins; 05-29-2013 at 03:49 PM.
LilFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #9433 
AyalaCookiejar

LilFins, your tank looks like mine:

That's random, lol, but I got this tank used and have always been kind of curious on what the heck it is. When I measured the outer dimensions of the tank, though, mine would only hold 4 gallons if it were filled to the brim. The previous owners also ripped off whatever was covering the hole on the front.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #9434 
LilFins

Yep that looks just like mine. It's the Hawkeye 5 gallon from Wal-Mart. I'll post a link in case you want to check it out. It's suppose to hold 5 gallons, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wal-Mart got it wrong lol
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258

Last edited by LilFins; 05-29-2013 at 04:24 PM.
LilFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #9435 
RiceFish

Newly setup NPT excuse the quality I took it with my phone -_-
Attached Images

RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #9436 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilFins View Post
Yep that looks just like mine. It's the Hawkeye 5 gallon from Wal-Mart. I'll post a link in case you want to check it out. It's suppose to hold 5 gallons, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wal-Mart got it wrong lol
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258
Thanks! I went through all the trouble to figure out the area of the bottom of the tank (it's a weird shape) and took it times the height and converted it to gallons and found it holds exactly 4 gallons.. I find it strange how they can just get away with that..
Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #9437 
Akeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilFins View Post
Hi guys! First time poster here :) This is my betta's planted 5 gallon that he shares with 3 ghost shrimp. It's a bit of a mess right now, but I have big plans in the works. I'm sorry for the poor picture quality by the way. My camera is down right now so I had to take this with my phone. Thanks for looking!
Beautiful!
Akeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #9438 
10asartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Females lay eggs? Lol.

The only reason I know my Nerite is a girl is because she laid eggs in her previous owners tank :) if you google it, there MIGHT be other ways to sex mystery snails...
Snails are hermaphroditic, meaning they are able to produce both types of gametes (ova/sperm). This means that a single snail has the ability to produce offspring when not in the presence of another snail as long as it has previously exchanged gametes with another snail.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #9439 
AyalaCookiejar

I do believe not all snails are hermaphrodites as said earlier. I know for a fact that pond snails and ramshorns are, though.

Edit: I could be wrong though, and it doesn't quite matter for me since my snail is a Nerite and their eggs don't hatch in freshwater.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 05-29-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #9440 
10asartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I do believe not all snails are hermaphrodites as said earlier. I know for a fact that pond snails and ramshorns are, though.

Edit: I could be wrong though, and it doesn't quite matter for me since my snail is a Nerite and their eggs don't hatch in freshwater.
Yes, there are exceptions, like the apple and periwinkle snails. They have separate sexes, but there is still no easy way to positively i.d. males from females without examining them internally.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, tank