Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #1 
LittleDeer

LittleDeer's Betta Journal

Hey everyone, I'm LittleDeer. I've decided to make a journal to ramble about my Bettas and other aquatic children. There will be no real rhyme or reason to this, and there will probably be a lot of lengthy posts, though many of thoe lengthy posts may have questions in them that I would appreciate if people tried to help me with.

I've only been very seriously keeping fish on my own for about 3 months now. I am still learning and I do make mistakes, but I am doing all I can to take great care of my fish. Making suggestions and giving advice is fine, but please dont get upset and yell at me if you disagree with something I am doing. Calmly making suggestions is a much better way to handle it.

Now I'll share my Bettas with you. At the time of this post, I have four Bettas total, 1 male, and 3 females. All live in seperate tanks. I have had my male for 3 months, and my females for only about 5 days.

(I apologize for the quality of these pictures, all I have is my ipod camera.)

My male is a Blue VT with red ventrals and some stripes of iridescence in his tail. His name is Benedict, but usually referred to as Benny or just Ben. I believe him to be about 9 months old right now. He lives in a ten gallon tank with a handful of Corydora Catfish.

Benny 1
Benny 2
Ben's Tank (10gal)

This is my multicolor VT girl Gylfie, I got her with Sonata and Alice, she's...turning out to be really rambunctious. She has a ton of energy and is really adventurous. She makes big bubble nests and puts on breeding stripes frequently as well, even though she is alone in her 5gal home.

Gylfie 1
Gylfie's Tank (5gal)

This is Sonata. She's a dark blue VT with some iridescence to her, mostly on her fins. I got her along with Gylfie and Alice. She's has a few issues of SBD that I believe were mostly stress related, as they lasted very short periods of time. She tends to get stress stripes pretty easily, though has calmed down since I moved her into her permanent home in a 3 gallon critter keeper. She's very calm and nervous and a little smaller than the other two. I have quite a soft spot for her.

Sonata 1
Sonata's Tank (3gal)

And finally, this is Alice. She's a white VT with red ventrals and red areas on her other fins. She also has a bit of iridescence to her. I got her along with Sonata and Gylfie. She has a few chunks of her anal fin missing, but they are healing up very quickly. She has a lot of energy to her, but she's also very very interested in me. Out of all three girls she's the only one who will come right of to the front of the tank and just sit and watch me. I wasn't going to get her, originally, but I'm glad I did. She's becoming a real sweetheart.

Alice 1
Alice's Tank

I'll be posting new things pretty frequently about the Bettas as well as my other fish on occasion. Don't be afraid to post and ask questions about my fish or give advice or suggestions. As long as you are kind and respectful, you are more than welcome here n_n

Last edited by LittleDeer; 07-08-2013 at 12:47 PM.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

MOAR PLANTS! lol I say more plants in Ben's tank

I was totally excited when you put the link up haha I'm like a little child sometimes XD

Tanks are looking great so far though!! Lovin' them
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #3 
LittleDeer

haha, I figured you'd be excited.

And yes, he does need more plants. Mostly he needs more tall plants. Allt he silk plants I put in there from the craft store are kind of short x_x Hopefully some day I'll have all live plants in my tanks, that would be incredible. But until then, I'll be looking around for some nice stuff to put in for Ben. I also may end up getting a pair of ADF's to see if Gylfie will be nice and share her space with them. So I may need to get more plant cover in her tank as a priority. Ben is absolutely loving his new plants though. For the couple hours after I put them in when I was home, he kept weaving in and out and around them and resting for a moment on some of the bigger flat leaves. He seemed so happy. It put a much needed smile on my face after my unfortunate loss last night.

The heaters are working just fine, as well. Though I had to keep playing around and adjusting them to get the temp right. I don't know how I would deal with non-adjustable heaters x_x I need to be in control. I'm also probably gonna check back in at Ocean's of Pets to see if they've gotten their new shipment in to see if I can get a new heater for Gylfie. And then look at all the beautiful Bettas there and be sad that I can't really have another one right now x_x

Well, since my rat is gone, I do have more space for tanks now. Maybe in a few weeks I'll save up to get another small tank to get a nice dragonscale boy. I feel like no one ever buys the fancy Betta breeds at that place. They always seem to have the same ones. Probably because they are some of the more expensive fish there. I think the dragons are $20 each. But they are beautiful and always very healthy with nice big bubble nests in their bowls.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What's not to be excited about? It's a place to ramble on about Betta's!!! lol

Aww that's adorable that Ben loves his plants! That put a smile on my face too ^_^ it's been a long day at work so that was well needed

Yeah my LFS is the same way, their EE's and Dragons and Kings are much more expensive so they don't really sell well
Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #5 
LittleDeer

I'd try to get a picture of him playing in his plants but the minute he realizes I'm looking at him and get within a foot of the tank he comes over to say hi and stops what he's doing. Silly boy.

They have so many beautiful fish, though. They had some nice "Patriotic" CT Boys for 4th of July that I saw when I went shopping on Saturday too. THey had perfect patches of red white and blue. And they used red white and blue gravel to bring them out. I mean, I'm not particularly fond of the color scheme personally, but I was kind of in awe at how perfect and bold their colors were. I should have taken pictures of them. They also have lots of EEs and DTs and at least a full shelf of CTs. Though half of the total Bettas they have are VTs. BUt they do have some decent variety in color. I'm still not sure about the names of certain color schemes yet, but I do know that most pet shops have mostly either Blue or Red Bettas. But they have a lot of variety. Its funny that I ended up with a blue boy (Although he isn't a solid blue and has red on him too.) but I like to let them choose me, and he responded to my presence the most. I almost got a...I think the color is called "cambodian"...boy with bluish green fins, but he didn't follow me around like Ben did. They were right next to eachother though. There was also a black boy I looked at, but he seemed kind of oblivious to my presence completely. So Now I have my beautiful blue boy. And I am very happy with him, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade him for anything. But I would like to get a nice fancy boy at some point. I also can't wait until my girls grow up a bit more. It seems like their colors are continuing to brighten up and change a bit. And they are still quite small. Less than an inch and a half long. So they have a ways to go still. I can't wait until they're big adult ladies. They're going to be wonderful. They already are. And their personalities are so different from eachother too. I expected that, but not for it to be so noticable. I've never had multiple Bettas so I've never thought much of their individual personalities. But I'm really loving getting to know them all. I'm sure they'll open up even more after a few weeks. That's how things went with Ben :)

At this point, I don't know how anyone wouldn't want a Betta. I'm a firm believer that everyone can benefit from having a pet fish in some way, and Bettas are probably the most interactive and social (with people) fish I've ever interacted with. They seem to have a different look in their eyes then other fish, too. They make eye contact and you can tell that the gears are turning in their little heads. I've never known any other fish to actually make eye contact with people and actually interact with them.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's so true! All of it! That's the number one thing that I love about them is that they are so interactive! My friend tried to get me into cichlids but I'm really glad I went with Betta's instead!!

That's great about the pet store! The one near me; Seahorse Pet Shop has very similar boy's to that. They have a whole line of CT's, many different DT's and EE's lots of Plakat's and HM's. They actually don't have any VT's because they wanted to sell other kinds and I kind of like that about them. Well actually I lied, they did get a orange VT and a red/orange VT in who are beautiful but that's it, the rest are all sorts of kinds! It's really neat and I go in usually once a week to see what they have new

And to be Cambodian it has to be one color but the body is lighter. So the most common is red, so red fins with a pink body. You can also have blue fins with a light blue body and so on and so forth ^_^ those red white and blues were most likely just Tri-color's but if they had colors in bands then they can be considered butterfly
Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #7 
LittleDeer

My dad had a few Cichlids a long time ago, one of them actually lived for a long time with an American Eel he had for over 15 years. and the only reason it died was because it found a way to escape and did it when no one was home, so no one found him in time. But he was a great eel, and the Cichlids he had were cool fish, but I think Bettas are more to my taste.

I should try to teach myself all the different names for colors and stuff. Like, I could tell you all that stuff about dogs and cats and horses, but I've never really studied fish in that way. Could be a fun little thing to do. Then when I go to the store I can tell my friends who come with me the names of every single color of Bettas they have and feel real proud of myself so they can look at me like I'm crazy XD Haha, well the friend I'm going with tomorrow seems very interested in it when I talk about my fish, though he's more interested in dogs than fish. I just think he likes how excited I get. I've perked up a lot since I got Ben, so I guess my friends kind of appreciate the fish a lot for it.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup! Same, I knew nearly nothing about 8 months ago and now look at me haha it's amazing how fast you can accrue knowledge when you really want to ^_^

Our sticky of Betta tail types and colors is a great place to start learning colors!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #9 
LittleDeer

Awesome, I'll check it out. I tend to learn pretty fast too~ I'm still trying to learn how to distinguish all the tail types too. Like how the rays look for certain tail types. I didn't know until just now that the rays actually branch off in some tail types.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well all ray's branch, even in VT's. VT's only have on branch which means two ray's, same with regular Plakats. Now a HM can branch multiple times as can a DeT and DT. CT's generally only have 2 ray's although there are 4 ray'd CT's too.

The only thing I still have yet to be able to do is distinguish a regular VT female against a PK female unless heritage is known or it's really beefy, chances are it's a PK.