Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #11 
LittleDeer

Haha, well, i'm sure I'll figure out all that eventually. Its just a lot to remember all at once. Plus I don't really have too much exciting at home to work with, mine are all VTs with imperfect colorations, so they're all just basically "mutts", but that's what you get from pet stores I guess. Though its not like I'm showing or breeding. They're all just gonna be companions, so what they look like doesn't really matter much. Though I think they're all beautiful, personally. I like thne look of random markings and random colorations, though those things could also come with problems with their genetics and predispositions to diseases. I'm just not really much of a fan of 100% solid colors.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

usually mutts aren't prone to diseases or anything like that. Color really has nothing to do with if they will fall ill or not, now a bent spine of a DT, yeah that could cause a few problems but nothing really of diseases is all.

But yeah, I've got loads to work with at home now lol, I think I have every tail type now although not of both sexes, like I only have one CT and it's a girl; Raven. Oh, nope I think the only one I don't have is Delta but everything else; HM, HMPK, PK, DT, VT, and CT.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #13 
LittleDeer

Oh, okay. I just wasn't sure because I know that certain genes that make certain colors appear can be the same gene that makes a certain disease or deformity appear. Though I don't know much about genetics, that was just something I read at one point.

But I guess its a good thing then. I don't mind mutts at all, though. They tend to be my favorites since they're all random and different.

That's awesome, though, I'm envious of your big fish family. It must be wonderful, especially your big sorority.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #14 
LittleDeer

So I've realized I'm an idiot. My critter keepers are actually the All Living THings brand ones so they're different sizes. My little tanks for the girls are actually only 2 gallons. Which I am comfortable with I suppose, as long as they are the only animals living in them. I wish I had realized that beforehand, but oh well. They are also still very small, so I think they will be fine in 2 gallons. Though I don't know if filtration would be the best idea in 2 gallons, seeing as they are very small and it would cause a lot of water movement. I'd still get the 3i's if I did get filters, but I'm not sure. I didn't even think about it before, but they do look a lot smaller than 3 gallons should be, and I held my 1gal up to them and they are definitely 2 gallons. I feel like such an idiot, I hope 2 gallons isn't bad. They do have plenty of room to move around and stuff, and I know I can keep up with water changes whether I get filters or not.

What do you think, lilnaugrim?

Last edited by LittleDeer; 07-09-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #15 
lovefordebbie
Banned

i don't understand betta journals?
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #16 
LittleDeer

Well, personally, mine will just be a place to talk about my own Bettas and update people about them who are actually interested. Just a place to ramble about my fish, since no one seems to care when I do it on Facebook.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

@lovefordebbie, yeah just a place to babble on about fish or upload rediculous amounts of pictures as in my journal haha I take too many pictures so I don't want to make a new thread every.single.day so I made a journal where I could dump all my photos! And talk about what I did with my fish as well.

It doesn't have to be about fish though, dramaqueen has a journal about what she does during the day lol, so literally can be anything (well...almost )

As for the 3i's in the 2 gallons, that seems perfectly fine. The flow will be quite heavy for the first week to two weeks but after that it slows down quite a bit so there's really no worry after a while

If you want to try them out first and get them running to start slowing them down, run them in Ben and Gylfie's tank first and then once they slow, put them in Sonata's and Alice's tanks
Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #18 
LittleDeer

I typed out a longer response than this but the internet freaked out and I lost it x_x

Anyway, that is an awesome idea, I'll have to try it. But, out of curiosity, how does the flow slow down after a week or two?

Also, I didn't end up getting the filters today because I wasn't sure about them, but I did end up grabbing some Omega One Pellets which they all seem to love. They're also smaller that the ones I was feeding, which Sonata was having trouble with since she's a bit smaller than the other girls. But she had no problems with these and seemed more enthusiastic about them. She hasn't had much of an appetite for the past couple days, so its good to see her turning into a piggy like the others. And Gylfie is absolutely ridiculous. Every time she sees my fingers she jumps up to try to get the food, then zooms around the tank after she eats a pellet, before coming back for the next one. I have never seen a fish do this before. She's nuts XD
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol Gylfie sounds like my boy Aero, he does the same thing XD and I have to be careful now because whenever my hand goes over the tank, he jumps for it! lol

Ugg I hate when the interwebs freaks like that, same thing happened over at my journal the other day and I nearly flipped a table because it was like 2 pages long >< well not really, but felt like it lol

All filters will slow after a while, whether they get clogged, or the motor/propeller doesn't feel like moving as much, etc. I haven't figured the exact cause for the 3i's the slow down but I have a feeling it's something to do with the pump and how cheap it is, but hey, it still works so I don't care too much. I don't use them to really clean the water as I do to circulate it which it does fine for Now the Marina C25 internal filter, that one does a good job cleaning and circulating but I wouldn't use it on something smaller than 5 gallons, it's still pretty powerful after I've had it 3-4 months now. Which reminds me....I have to clean that one out soon...lots of algae on it, whoops!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #20 
LittleDeer

I suppose that makes sense for the filters. And yeah, 90% of my reasoning for getting filters on the smaller tanks is to keep the water circulating, as I have said before. I just don't like the water sitting still and stagnant. That doesn't seem like the best environment to me.