Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #21 
LittleDeer

Just gave everyone water changes, including the first water changes for the girls in the small tanks. I wasn't sure how much water to change, so I just did 50% for the girls in the 2 gallons. I used a turkey baster as a siphon and Alice would not get out of the way. I was afraid I was gonna accidentally get her with the baster, haha.

Whatever it was that happened to Alice's fins when I first got her (She had two centimeter long chunks torn out of her anal fin) they are healing up really fast. You can barely even tell they were damaged unless you look close, you'll see kind of slightly curved indents where it should be straight across. I'm quite happy with that, because that means it wasn't anything bacterial or fungal. I haven't seen any discoloration on her fins at all, so I assume the damage was only physical. Regardless, she's a very confident, but usually pretty calm, girl. She's the only one of the girls who will sit and just watch me. When I stand in front of the tank she stops swimming and just stares directly at me. No flaring or anything, she stays very calm, but she looks very focused, and takes food very gently from me too. She's a sweetheart.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #22 
LittleDeer

I'm a little bit worried about Sonata. Every time I get near the tank I notice she has stress stripes. She does seem very nervous, spooks easily, and when I feed her she snatches her food but swims to the back of her tank before eating it. I don't know why she's so nervous. Her tank is next to Alice's, but Alice doesn't really seem to pay attention to her, and I have never seen Alice even flare. So I don't know if seeing Alice is bothering Sonata. I don't know if there's something else in the tank that is stressing her out or if she's still getting used to her new home. I just don't want her to be uncomfortable. She has plants, a small ceramic pot "cave", a few rocks, and a heater in her tank (well, she has gravel too). I don't see anything she should be stressed about. There's no filter in there right now, so theres no water movement. And I just changed 50% of her water yesterday. I hope she's just taking longer to get used to her new home than the others. I don't want her to be uncomfortable :(
Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Mystique was the same way when I first brought her home. For the first two weeks she'd get stripes when she saw me and I honestly liked the look of them because she looked really cool lol but after she started to really associate me with food, she liked me 10 times more just give her time and plenty of food and she'll come around.

Just like with humans, some Betta's are shyer than other's and it just takes time for them to get comfortable.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #24 
LittleDeer

Okay, I just home she calms down soon. I don't want her to feel like she's in danger or anything :(
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #25 
LittleDeer

So I'm finally done dog sitting for my aunt so I'm sitting in my room relaxing and watching the fish. The girls have grown very slightly since I got them. And I noticed that Alice, who I had originally thought was white, is actually both transparent and iridescent. She's very pretty, though its a little weird being able to see her organs, mostly her ovaries and swim bladder. I think her color would be called "cellophane" but I'm not sure. And my camera is too poor quality to actually get a good picture of her. She just looks white or pinkish in pictures. I'm just not sure if to be cellophane they can't have iridescence. I'm still learning Betta colors x_x but she most definitely is transparent, in her body and fins, though she's not 100% transparent in her body, just enough to see her organs

Last edited by LittleDeer; 07-12-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

She can still be considered cellophane with irid. here's a male that I'm envious of that has irid but is still cello

He doesn't have much irid on his body but they can have just the irid on the body as well and not the tail, visa versa. As long as the fins are mostly see through it'd be cellophane w/irid is all.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #27 
LittleDeer

Yeah her fins are completely see through, but she's iridescent over her whole body. I wish I could get it on camera, because its really pretty. I had kinda hoped she'd be white, but that's okay, she's still beautiful and a little sweetheart :)
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Her iridescence may come in over time as well, that's what happened with my girls Aurora and Stardust, they were sort of pearly yellowish and now Aurora is white irid over yellow body and Stardust is white with purple grizzle!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #29 
LittleDeer

Ooh they sound very pretty. Yeah right now her body is kinda pinkish but with irid. Though the edges of her fins have a very very faint tinge of red in the right light. Kinda in the same way butterfly bands go. It's just very faint and still transparent. I can only really see it on the rays.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #30 
LittleDeer

So I went pet store hopping with a friend today, and got another 2gallon critter tote. Then I went to Petco and I think I'm in love. There was a big handsome King boy there with beautiful coloring. I told myself to wait and see what I found at Oceans of Pets since I do want another boy. But I realized later that Oceans closed early on Sundays. So I got no fish. But I think I'm gonna go back to Petco tomorrow and see if that King boy is still there. He's $13, but I don't mind. He looked pretty healthy and had good bold color. I've already named him so he better be there.

I'm not sure how big Kings get, this guy was around 3in. I don't imagine they get too enormous. Would it be okay if I moved Gylfie to the new 2 gallon and put the King boy in the 5 gallon Gylfie is in right now? I wish I didn't have to take such a big tank from her, but I think she'll be okay in a 2 gallon. If I had space for more bigger tanks I would get them. I just really need this King boy, he has my heart right now.