Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #31 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah she'll totally be fine in the 2 gallon! No problems there

Go get your King! Usually they are "half-giant's" so 3-3.5 inches is what they'll get to. But that's including tail and you don't include tails so technically he's probably 2.5 inches at best. Giants would be anything from 2 inches and up. He'll be very happy in the 5 gallon though!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #32 
LittleDeer

That's awesome! I'm so excited. I was telling myself to wait and get a boy from Oceans of Pets because their fish are all pretty good quality and well taken care of, but this King just...gah. I've never seen them anywhere else and didn't think I would so I never looked into them. But he's big and gorgeous. I really hope he's still there. I can't go until later in the day, but I'll be getting everything set up to move Gylfie, so he can go right in the five gallon after acclimation. If I fill the 2 gallon with water from Gylfie's current tank, I won't have to re-acclimate her or anything, right? (I just did a water change yesterday, so its pretty clean too.)

I also got 4 more of those little ceramic pots I found since they were still on sale and such a perfect size for the girls and the little tanks. I'll have some extras, but they were 2 for $1, so I'm sure they'll be handy. Probably a bit too small for the King boy though.

I also have a question, do all King males have short fins? Because I'm pretty sure he's male, I saw no egg spot, but there were three Kings there and they were all short finned. Would that be considered Plakat? I'm just curious and still learning this stuff, so forgive me if these are silly questions.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #33 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah you can just take her water and just throw her right in there!

I really hope he's still there!

And most Kings/Giants are Plakat's but there are long finned ones as well but they aren't as common as the giant gene I believe is recessive if I remember right. So they're still relatively new as are EE's so not too much is known about them yet. But yes most commonly their King's are Giant Plakat's and would then yes, have short fins!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #34 
LittleDeer

Okay, awesome! I do actually quite like Plakats too, so its a win-win. He's got awesome color too he's greenish blue with hints of black and red between the rays on his fins. There was another one next to him that was basically the same colors as Ben, who was very pretty too, but I was more drawn to the greenish one. I'll get up a picture as soon as I get him home and comfy in his new tank. I'll probably get him a cave of some kind, hopefully I can find something with big enough holes for him that will fit in my five gallon. I have a fake stone looking decoration in there right now, but I may take it out.

I also bought more of the craft store silk plants so I'll distribute those to some tanks. The little tanks could use a couple more.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #35 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sweet! Can't wait to see him and all so exciting!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #36 
LittleDeer

I don't even know what to do with myself right now I'm so excited.

It's funny to think this all started with me getting Ben and putting him in a one gallon and then researching about Bettas. Now I will have 5 Bettas in five tanks all in my Bedroom. It's only been 3.5 months since this started. What have you all done to me? XD
Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #37 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lmao XD that's how I started too! Had Rembrandt in the 1, then a 2.5, then a 3 and then I got 21 more Betta's XD
Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #38 
LittleDeer

Haha, I'm running out of surface area to keep tanks on unfortunately. I'm restricted to my bedroom, so I have to use what I have. I had to physically move stuff around to make a spot for another 2 gallon. I think this King boy will be my last Betta for a while. Plus after this guy I should focus on getting some Better stuff for their environments.

Oh! I ordered some moss balls. They're the nano ones from that seller in Malaysia on eBay, so they will be tiny. But I'll have 6 of them, so its okay. It's something. They'll grow, too. Just slowly, haha.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #39 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha, I got those same 6 moss balls XD They're pretty awesome though!

Yeah I'm running out of surface space as well unless I literally got rid of everything on this built in book shelf that's still holding half of my grandfather's...ahem...crap XD

But yeah, 5 is really good though, they'll certainly keep you entertained!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #40 
LittleDeer

How many tanks do you have? I know you have all your girls in a 33 gallon, but what are your boys in?

And yeah, haha, I'd have to get rid of DVDs and books and video games to make more space, and that's not gonna happen, haha. I do have an old tv I don't use anymore that's really big and bulky. I can't move it by myself, but if I got rid of it I could fit another ten gallon where it is, haha.

The 4 I have already keep me plenty entertained and are wonderful company. Plus they're so easy to care for, and aren't messy, and don't eat much. They're literally the perfect pets for me right now. I have really good tap water quality too, its not very hard and the pH is perfect. So I have never had problems with the water for any fish I've ever had. I've never really had to deal with a sick fish (besides when Sonata was having SB problems, but that wasnt particularly an illness, and was very brief) so I must be doing something right, haha. My dad always had fish when I was growing up, too, so I do have decent knowledge of fish husbandry.

It's not fair how easy Bettas can be for how incredible they are. I could easily keep a whole bunch and have no problem with them. So I keep getting more xD

Oh, and a side note, my friend who was having trouble with his Betta fin biting and with his water pH is doing a lot better now. He's had his boy in a one gallon doing daily water changes, and he's almost completely healed up. He's working on getting the water in the ten gallon stabilized, and its working. The water is clear and his pH is good. He's been acclimating his boy for a week now just to make sure he's okay with the new pH. And everything seems good. I'm just worried he may decline again in a big tank because of how much he perked up in the 1 gallon. He hasn't put any new plants in yet, but he has some. He's just been waiting for the water to stabilize at a good place. He's been using bottled water too now because his tap water is ridiculous in his town. But he makes good money, do he doesn't mind buying a bunch of bottled water. He's more concerned about keeping his fish healthy. This Betta is the first pet he's ever really had, and its awesome to see how dedicated he is to him.