Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #41 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh that's great to hear about your friend's Betta! I'm really glad that he's dedicated to him, it's really heartwarming to hear about that ^_^ So he's got live plants or are they just silk? If they're live plants they can go in right away and they will actually help stablize the water! Also if he doesn't have a source of ammonia in there, the tank won't cycle so if he has a turkey baster or something then he can take out the Betta poop from the 1 gallon and put it in the 10 to give the Beneficial Bacteria something to eat at and grow. But yeah, plants will definitely help too.

Yeah so all my girls are in the 33. Rembrandt has a 3 gallon Cube, Jarvis was in the MarineLand 3 gallon Eclipse which Ditto is in right now. And then my 10 gallon is split 3 ways for Aero, Ditto normally and Mercury and then Gambit is in the spare 2.5 on my piano bench XD and then the two babies; Steve and Tony are in the split 5.5 so they each have roughly 2.7 gallons ^_^

It really is amazing how rediculously easy they are to care for and love honestly! So much personality stuffed into a tiny package it seems lol And yep, that's why I have so many too! And holy mackerel, the sorority! Their ego's and attitudes literally emanate from that tank. You walk in and are nearly smacked in the face with all their sassy-ness, it's crazy! lol I love it! I'm so glad I got into them, where the heck would I be if I didn't have them?! I'd probably have you know, actual free time lol oh geez, what the heck would I do with free time!?!?!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #42 
LittleDeer

Right now he only has silk, I'm not sure if he has intentions to get live ones but they would certainly help. I'll probably talk to him about that today. He's gonna be bringing me to get my King boy, so I'll be seeing him today.

Goodness, how much time do you spend with water changes on all those tanks? XD I do my water changes on the same days, but it can take over a half hour sometimes to get all of them done. And I only do the ten gallon once a week. For everyone else I'm I'm doing 2 50% changes a week. The ten gallon takes a while to siphon out, because I do a 50% change each time since I'm slightly overstocked with my Cories. For the 2gallons I use the turkey baster to siphon around the gravel, so that can take a long time.

Part of me wishes they weren't so great so I wouldn't keep getting more xD but I wouldn't give up my Bettas for the world. They're like my children now.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #43 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh great! That's very nice of him ^_^

Ehhh, probably about an hour on Wednesday. Wednesday is the small tank day so the two 3's, the 5.5 and the 2.5 are changed I usually do the 10 gallon as well. Then on Saturday it's the small ones again (two 3's, 2.5 and the 5.5) and the 33 so it's about an hour and a half usually. But it depends on what I'm doing on the side as well and if I get side tracked by the forum lol
Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #44 
LittleDeer

Yep, he always offers to go with me because no one else really is interested in his fish, so we talk about fish and look at the Bettas together and I teach him new things I've learned.

Haha, we do water changes almost on the same days. I do all of mine on Wednesday, and then all but the ten gallon again on Sunday instead of Saturday, because I'm usually busy on Saturdays.

By the way, I'm gonna attach a pic of my shelf with the 2 gallons on it. I'm trying to figure out what to do for some kind of lighting for the tanks, but I don't have much room. I don't know if you have any suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #45 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oooh you could get Under Cabinet flourescent light systems! You can get one at Wal-mart for like 10 dollars! And they come in different sizes and you'd attach them right under your shelf so that it's over both the tanks. And get the plug in ones instead of the smaller battery operated ones, they suck. And then you can get a different fluorescent tube when you want to to grow plants a little better. If you got an 18 inch one, that should be good for the bottom shelf and then for the top you can always get a clamp on light from Home Depot or a desk top light and replace the incandescent with a compact fluorescent light (CFL) which saves energy and lights up better! They don't heat up as much either which is always wonderful!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #46 
LittleDeer

Awesome thank you! I'm gonna need to get a new power strip, haha. I don't have enough outlets, and the extension cord I have right now only has three. But I think that would work perfectly!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #47 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol yeah, I hear ya!

I use the ZooMed timer strips so that I don't have to worry about turning on and off the lights, especially when I'm at my mom's house as opposed to my dad's where my fish are! Keeps them on a nice schedule as well!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #48 
LittleDeer

Got Gylfie all set up in the 2gal. And added some more plants to the 5gal for my new boy. Still have a few hours before I'll be able to go get him. I'm so excited.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #49 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I hope he's still there!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #50 
LittleDeer

I got him! I also got him a cave that is an Egyptian Vase type thing, and I ended up naming him Ramses. He is a King Betta, so the name of a Pharaoh suits him. I'll get a picture up once he's in his new home. He seems really healthy, though he may have some very mild fin rot on his caudal, but I'm not sure if its just his coloring or not. He's lively and flared twice at my friend, but not at all at me xD I'm already so in love with him.

I also bought an Anubias plant that looked in good condition.