Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #1 
OscarsMommy

Tank Shock and 2 other BIG questions...

Hello. I am new to this forum and a realitively new momma of Bettas.

1.)I recently upgraded my lit'l guy from a 1 gallon tank to a goregous 10 gallon, with plants and a cave. I treated the water, let it filter through, and warm to the required/suggested temperature. He is eating and was thriving. This morning he seemed abit unamused to see me and kind of remained lying on his plant, he did go up for air and then went back down. Maybe I caught he during a resting period, I just wanted to make sure I am just being an over protective momma or if there might be something wrong with him...any suggestions??

2.)With upgrading to this 10gallon tank, I would like to add some friends with him. I have been suggested Angelfish, cory cats, zebra danios, cherry barbs, and rasboras. Any of these better to have than others or any others I should consider? I am going to wait another week or so before shocking lit'l Oscar with some mates since he seems to be a little crabby yet contect with his new home...

3.) I purchased him at Pets Mart back in February. He was a bit smaller than he is now, but I was wondering, is there any way to tell how old this lit'l man is??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks much

Last edited by OscarsMommy; 03-17-2009 at 08:41 AM.
OscarsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. Bettas DO like to rest occaisionally on a plant or on the bottom of the tank but if your tank wasn't cycled then it could be from high ammonia levels in his water. As far as tankmates go, bettas do fine on their own as they are solitary fish but any fish that aren't nippy or have long, flashy fins would be fine. Bettas have different personalities and some do alright with tankmates . Others are too aggressive to have tankmates. I don't think there is any real way to tell what age they are. If yours was smaller when you first got him, he probably was fairly young.I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions and someone will answer them. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #3 
OscarsMommy

Thank you very much. His tank was cycled before I introduced him to it. I am hoping he was just resting. He seemed abit cranky when I gave him his good morning before work as then he moved around like a child being pushed to get ready to school. I have my younger sister and my mother checking on him and his tank temperature all day today, just to make sure it was a 'rest-time' and not something worse.

Thank you so much. I need all the help I can get

I love their personalities!!

He seems to be quite a passive boy...he never tries to nip at me or anything...he does flare his gill covers at his reflection, though. I guess, go with one tank mate and see how it goes before adding more...
OscarsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #4 
MADxMAC771

When you said the tank has plants are they real plants or artificial? If they are artificial plants, and you treated the water, and let it stand there should be no issue with chemical levels considering that the betta is the only thing in there that would alter things. If they are live plants forever you may not have cycled it properly.
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

What is his water temperature at? They like it at 78-80 degrees.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #6 
catfishtabbi

Angles get too large. i would add a small school of tetras, i think 4 would be fine(mine are) for a 10g. Yo-yo loaches are cool and keep the crevices clean, i luv em'.Look at the fish on liveaquaria this iste will help.
catfishtabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #7 
Yolie1461

ok so I went to the store with my mom and my boyfriend to get my jack dempsy a heater for the winter because my old one broke. He is about a foot long. Ok so I put the heater in there to let it sit for 15 minuets before turning it on like it said and I fixed the bubble accessories that were in there and I was fine but then wen I went to change the filter I felt a shock throughout my hand. My boyfriend put his finger in the water and it didn't shock him so I tired it again and it shocked me. Note: I had my 2 filter systems plugged in, the bubble systems plugged in and the 2 lights plugged in. The heater WAS NOT plugged in. MY mom tried it and it didn't shock her. Another thing is I have braces but i dont know if that would affect anything maybe it does idunno but what doesnt make sense is that a few seconds before this happened my whole arm was submerged in the 55 gallon water. another wierd thing is my boyfriend had his finger in the water and i touched his arm and it still shocked me. I have everything plugged into a power surge protector. I don't know what to do.
I went into my room where my other fish tank is and put my fingers in that but i didn't get shocked it is only in that one fish tank. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
Yolie1461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #8 
BettaMiah

Probably just sleeping. My bettas are always like that in the morning. '5 more minutes mom!'

Do NOT, I repeat, NOT get Angle fish. They are going to need 30 gallons each, and are aggressive.

You could get 6 neon Tetras. That is about it. No Cory Catfish, they need 10 gallons each and need a school. No Cherry Barbs, Zebras, or Rasaboras. Those are Dainos, which are fin nippers. They will hurt your Betta.

You COULD get 2 African Dwarf Frogs. Really cute.

Or, better yet, divide it and get another Betta fish. You could divide it 3 ways, even!
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #9 
tf1265

I actually disagree with BettaMiah. Cories do great in 10 gallon tanks. They don't need 10 gallons EACH, they just need 10 gallons total. They do need to be in groups, so I would get at least 3. You will not find a more peaceful fish. Another bonus is that cories are bottom feeders, so they will spend most of their time at the bottom (they get active at night, but it's more swimming up and down than left to right), and your betta will spend most of his time at the surface. I have several 10 gallon tanks with a variety of cories, and they all do great. One of them has a female betta in it as well. I wouldn't suggest anything with bright colors or long fins, as the bettas will nip. You also want to be careful of anything that is too fast, as bettas are comparably very slow swimmers and won't be able to get away.

As for the resting issue. If you just moved him, it's possible that he just needs some time to get used to all the space. Going from a 1 gallon to a 10 gallon is a HUGE move, and he probably just feels like he doesn't know what else could be in there. Give him a week or so to get used to it.

One word of advice about adding tankmates: Bettas are extremely territorial. When having a community tank with a betta, it's generally recommended that you add the betta last so he has no time to feel like it's solely his domain. You may want to take him back out for a few days when adding any other fish.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote