Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #11 
aqua001

Thanks, TheTrojanBetta! My hams are OBSESSED with sunflower seeds also:). Biscuit is an adorable name as well
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #12 
Elliriyanna

The problem is Syrians ( The teddy bear, panda bear etc) are solitary. Dwarfs ( Russian campbells, Winter White and Robo's) all have the potential to enjoy another of the same species company but this can be very hit or miss.
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #13 
Sweetea

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua001 View Post
Sweetea, do you, by any chance know any other high quality/protein treat foods i can give the hamsters? I let them try a little Evo, they don't seem to be that interested, though they are a little sleepy, so its hard to judge. Do you know how much cuttle bone would be considered safe? I was thinking i could put it in their cage once a week, just overnight and then take it out and do the same the the next week. Do you think this is a good amount or should i feed less or more? And the Old mother Hubbard stuff, so it's not safe? Lol sorry I'm a little but confused.
You can give plain boiled chicken, uncooked silken/firm tofu, and the white part of a boiled egg. If you're okay with crickets/mealworms, those can given too. Once a week with the cuttlebone is good. And yeah, the old mother hubbard treat wouldn't be good for the hams because of the tumeric. x_X
Sweetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #14 
aqua001

thanks, sweetea. Time for some cuttlebone hammies!!!!! lol.
I found this chicken jerky thing that was technically made for ferrets but I was wondering if it would be ok for the hamsters.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11535479
the ingredients are: chicken, vegetable glycerine and natural flavor

I really want to feed them fresh chicken and stuff just i don't really think my mom wants me to cook an unflavored chicken all the time for the hamsters (and also i don't have that much time. i haven't even started my summer HW and I'm typing this up as i go to Crew practice o.o)

I'll probebly get some mealworms. Do they have to be live? or can they be freeze dried? And I have blocks of Omega One preeze dried brine shrimp that my bettas dont like at all so I was wondering if I would feed them some every now and then because they are high in protein.

thanks!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #15 
Elliriyanna

freeze dried have almost no nutritional value. you can also do a little cheese here and there, It has protein and calcium.

I would not feed them anything freeze dried personally.

Also for protein believe it or not I use to do very high quality dog food ( Small breed) just a piece here and there.

The dog food is a little controversial but i have had hamsters for years and never had any issues.
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #16 
Briz

Just a chime in, but Hazel Hamster by Supreme Petfoods is one of the best choices for daily food. I haven't heard much about their treats, but I would imagine they are just as well-made.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #17 
aqua001

Thanks, briz, I'm planning on getting some Hazel hamster next time i stop by at petsmart.

Elliriyanna, what brand? I've looked for a while but haven't found anything with 100 percent safe ingredients. And how much is a good amount?

Thanks!