Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 
resa

Question wanting to experiment with breeding

I'm wanting to experiment with breeding. I have done Alot of research however it's confusing bc ik everyone does what works for them... but I don't know how to start off.
I have 1vt male, unsure of age but he's as big as he will become
I have 1 hm male I bought from someone in IBC he's approximately 4-5 mths old
recently purchased one from petsmart unsure of what he is.... he looks between a butterfly and I'm assuming he's adult age (he built a bubble nest but I cleaned his tank so it's gone)

I'm unsure of what male to use.

I have several ct female I have one that looks really big so I'm assuming she's as big as she will get... her egg spot is huge...

I have a few to be what I believe are vt females

so I'm looking for insight on what to do...I will breed, but unsure of which pair to start with..
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

Well, first, if you want the best advice you'll need to photograph each fish while it is flaring. That's the only way we can know what colors and what conformation issues you are dealing with.
I doubt anyone can give you an idea of where to start without seeing the fish.

In the meantime you can familiarize yourself with the different color layers of a betta.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

We have several stickies here in the breeding section of the forum. Ghat would be a good place to start. Then you can ask questions and our breeder members will be glad to answer your questions.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #4 
snowflake311

you sound like me. I saw just do it. I am new to betta breeding I too have done Years of research and have been keeping betta fish for 14 years. Just yesterday night I set up for breeding after conditioning my pair for a week.

They are young fish and have never spawned before. I am using the 10 Gal tank with only 5 inches of water in it. My pair is getting along and the suspense is killing me. Its a waiting game now.

I have bred other fish and a few kinds of cichlids so I am not no stranger to the fish courtship. Breeding bettas so far is not as scary as I thought it would be. I thought my fish would tear each others fins apart but so far all fins are fine and there has been few nips nothing really bad.

If you have done your research you are ready just do it. Set up a tank and pick a healthy pair.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I would suggest using the 10g method, 4" water, set up personal preference.
From the limited info, I would also suggest breeding the young HM. If possible get a HM female to make your life easier.

When you ask us "which pair / breed or not/ . . . etc, don't forget to mention your goal. This will determine what we tell you.

snowflake; I'm glad you had a pleasant first experience. Some can be discouraged by over aggressive males.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #6 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I would suggest using the 10g method, 4" water, set up personal preference.
From the limited info, I would also suggest breeding the young HM. If possible get a HM female to make your life easier.

When you ask us "which pair / breed or not/ . . . etc, don't forget to mention your goal. This will determine what we tell you.

snowflake; I'm glad you had a pleasant first experience. Some can be discouraged by over aggressive males.
I bred blue acaras, angle fish and discus.the blue acaras were aggressive so rought fish love is nothing new to me. Bt yes my male seems to be a good boy he chases her around sometimes because she is a cocky little flirt. But I am lucky so far with them not hurting each other.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #7 
resa

these are the females i have that aren't sick and are doing well. i have 3 other females that are quarantined and are young.... i will post pics of males in a few moments...
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #8 
resa

here are the males i have. i know M1 is a vt and M2 is a hm unfortunatly i don't know what M3 is.... it looks to be a possible vt or butterfly or spade tail. please inform me. thanks again :)
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You don't have a CT male, So I wouldn't suggest using CT females . . . unless you want to widen your CT's caudal spread. But since that takes more generations and more difficult to achieve, at the moment I'd suggest breeding the HM to the VT. Maybe female #6.

Remember to have a plan on where to rehome your potential fry.

BTW, male #3 is a young VT.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #10 
Myates

Agree.. wouldn't use the CT females.
Male 2 has double tail geno (or is one) and I would not suggest breeding him your first few go arounds in breeding as double tails are not easy because of the deformities, etc.. down the road can add in a DT to an HM line to get bigger dorsals if needed.. but if you want to breed male 2 I would do a lot of research on double tail genetics first.

Which leaves you with VT males and females.. generally they are not that popular and tend to be harder to get rid of (as most people rather spend the money it takes to ship on fish such as HMs than on VTs who are very very cheap at the local pet store). Unless you have a local pet store that would take your VT spawn, I would suggest purchasing an HM male and female, or a CT male for your CT females to breed... make sure to study up on mixing tail types (what is best to do, when, how and what to avoid).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote