Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 
DreamerHorse

Cool Rock Decoration Turning Mint Green?

It's exactly as the title says. I have a rock decoration turning mint green on some points. What I want to know is why? Has anyone had this happen before? It confuses me, I've only had it for a day. xP Sorry, I can't post pictures cause I'm on a DSi...

Last edited by DreamerHorse; 07-02-2013 at 04:52 PM.
DreamerHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Is it one of those moon glow rocks?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #3 
DreamerHorse

No, it's a rock decoration I got from walmart for $8. I don't remember seeing green on it when I took I bought it, but when it went in the tank and had been there for awhile, it had green spots on it. I also tried scratching at it with my finger nail and it wouldn't come off. It's almost as if the paint chipped off, but why would it be green underneath?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Might just be the material they used, not sure exactly what that might be. if the paint is chipping off I'd take it out, all it will do is dirty your water and if there are any chemicals in it, it might be harmful to your fish. If it doesn't seem to be effecting anything and you think it's fine then go ahead and keep it. But usually when I see things start to chip that I know I didn't do myself, then I usually chuck it.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #5 
DreamerHorse

It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, only annoying me by having the color change. My dad has the same decoration, but different color, and his was bought used from a local petshop. The whole reason I bought it was because my dad had one and I thought it looked nice. It doesn't seem to be getting worse though, just a few points are green, so I'm going to try to overlook my annoyed feelings and keep it because I like it so much. xP
Old 07-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol it should be fine then ^_^
Old 07-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #7 
DreamerHorse

Here's a picture.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hmmm, interesting! Not sure about the top but that second rock down almost looks like it has algae. I know some algae can get to be a very intense green but you said the paint chipped where it's turning green? and you can't rub it off?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #9 
DreamerHorse

I assumed for the paint chipping. It was a guess since I had no clue how it got to be that way. I scrubbed at it with my fingernail but no go. I can try again when I get home. Theres another spot on the second rock at the back that's the same as the top. I looked at a video I took at my dad's house of his decoration that's similiar, and it's got green spots at those points too, except the green insn't as intense.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Huh! Weird! you should email or contact the company to see what they think about it, especially since it's two of them doing the exact or similar things it sure should be interesting to know