Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #11 

I think corys .three or four would be best so long as the gravel is smooth so as not to damage their barbels(whiskers). Platies should work as well ,but male platies might squabble amongst themselves a little but rarely do any damage.
As for acclimation of fish, I float the bag of new fish in quarantine tank for twenty minutes. I then open the bag and roll the top of the bag down two or three times so that it floats upright in the water or clip it to the side of the aquarium in upright posistion. I then begin adding 1/2 cup to one cup of water depending on the size of the bag,, of my aquarium water from the quarantine tank, to the bag of fish at four minute intervals until the bag is near full. I then pour out half of this water and once again, add water from the quarantine tank at four minute intervals until the bag is once again near full. I then slowly pour the water from the bag into a clean bucket (three gal.) and either pour the water through the net or net the fish from the bucket and place them in the tank. I leave the lights off during the acclimation to reduce stress and leave the light off for three to four hours. hope some of this helps.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #12 
OscarsMommy

How long should quarintine be?

I have a small tank, my first tank, that is about 1.5/2 gallons...and a plate-type heater...is that okay for the QT?

So much to do!!

Here is a question...is a 10 galloon tank too large for Oscar? If I chose to keep him solitary, should I move him to a small tank? If so, what size is best for him?

Poor Oscar, he may get moved to another tank...maybe...if I figure out another way to set up my room, his tank may just make a trek across the room...hmmmm...

Again, so many decisions...LoL.
OscarsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #13 

I usually try and quarantine new fish for a minimum of three weeks.
Ten gal tank is in my view, perfect for a betta. Keep up with weekly water changes in ten gal and betta will live a long happy life.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #14 
OscarsMommy

Ok, so would it be best to just go out and buy a separate tank for another aquarium community and just keep Oscar by himself? Or buy a few 'possible-compatibles' and try him with them, if it doesn't work, just put them in the community tank?

Oscar is thriving, I really don't want to shock him or hurt him...I rather keep him in a solitary tank then possibly stress him to the point of Betta Heaven...

Here is the other thing...when moving around my room to get ready for tank No. 2...I am going to HAVE to move Oscar to a new place...is it ok to move him to the little tank so I don't freak him out moving his large tank?

Okay...I think my decisions have been made.

Oscar has his own 10gal tank...with a possibility of a few corycats as mates...

Then I will have another tank with my Angelfish, platys, and what not....

There...yay....hahahaha...

Thank you all!!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #15 
MADxMAC771

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarsMommy View Post
Okay, new question, where do I get the little separator for the tank?
I made my own seperator from a "flexible cutting board" and some plastic bindings from portfolios. The flexible cutting board cost me maybe 3 bux and the plastic clips (the kind you slide along the ende of a report or project before you turn it in) were free considering I took them off projects some students had turned in to me. A little hot glue here, a little hot glue there and its done. I used the clips glued to a segment of cutting board as the guided to rest on the side of the tank and I simly slid another sheet of the cutting board down between the guides. From the top the divider looks just like an "I". It works great between my two bettas in my 10g.

It looks something like this. the I's are the main divider sheet, the ____ are the segments that go along the tank wall. and the | | are the clips that I attached.
``I ``
``I ``
``I ``
``I ``
``I ``
``I ``
| I |
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

You might want to get an adjustible heater. Those other heaters aren't as reliable.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #17 
OscarsMommy

Yeah, I know it is crap...that's why Oscar is in the 10gallon with a nice heater...he enjoys it...he doesn't like the orange light on it, but he likes his nice warm and large enivironment.

I actually decided to just keep him by himself, to keep him safe and happy...so I am going to purchase another tank for all my other fish I'd like to have...Yay!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think thats a good idea. I have mine alone. They'll eat off of dead fish, which I would not want mine to do, other fish can pick on bettas and bettas can pick on other fish, too, so thats why I prefer to keep mine alone.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #19 
veganchick

Angelfish are pretty sensative to water conditions and need to be added months after hte tank is up. Wait till u get the 50g for them!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #20 
OscarsMommy

Sweet...thank you!!

Any suggestions on a colorful fish community for a 10/20gallon tank? I will wait for my 50gallon to get my prized Angelfish...

Thank you so much...my mom just texted me and told me Oscar has his tail wrapped around his blue plant taking a snooze and when she came in the room and woke him up, he swam up to where she was and flared his gills and then went back to his blue plant...hahaha...cranky-butt!! My sweet lit'l guard-fish...he loves his Momma...tee hee

Again, thank you so much, this community has helped me make great decisions and stopped me from making grave mistakes!!! Oscar appreciates it, too!!