Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Sponge Filter & Sand Problem

So after Lebron died, he left his 3.5 bare and empty. I already have a sponge filter, and decorations.. So, why not get ready for a new addition? :D Probably going to be a HMPK. But onto what's wrong..

I had to disinfect the tank with vinegar and also the decorations; which I did. To the sponge filter, I just soaked and rinsed it in very, very hot water. I expected so much brown sludge but what came out? Just tank water. I cycled the tank before.. Where did all the BB go? Did they die after Lebron didn't produce anymore ammonia for them to eat? I have no idea.. I already set up the tank and added in ammonia. I just hope it works.

Also, I bought some Petco sand and it really, really smells. It smelled when I was rinsing it out, and it broke my garbage disposal in my sink. -.- I filled the tank with some more water to the top, and I still smell a faint plastic odor.

What's wrong with the sand and filter?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Bump.

Also, how do you seed a sponge filter? There doesn't seem to be anyway I can put the media in.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The bb are invisible and will not form "sludge" when they die, what you were expecting is called mulm (all the fish poop and other waste).

For the petco sand, well, I can't help much. If it smells toxic I wouldn't use it. Try to rinse it in warm, but not hot water.

To seed a sponge filter, run it in an established tank for a couple weeks.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, okay thank you. I already rinsed the sand a bunch of times until the floating particles were gone.. I suppose it's fine. And I thought there was hardly any BB in the water column of a cycled tank?