Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #1 
Emparios

Shells

Hey people! I've noticed that my fish tanks are a little drab for my two bettas, and neither of them like the shelter I've put in their tanks. After looking around the house for a while, I found a ton of these big, beautiful shells, and I would like to make something for my fish with them. For a reference to size, the picture is the actual size of the shells.

Here's the catch though: they came from my great grandmother's house, so I have no idea where they're from, or even if they are real shells. Knowing this, how can I make sure they are safe for my fish?

Last edited by Emparios; 07-08-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #2 
Kittiesdragons

I don't recommend shells because they can have very sharp edges and can alter PH which I've always been nervous about... I personally would steer clear sorry... they are beautiful though!
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #3 
thisismydesign

Kittiesdragons is right, the calcium and other minerals in the shells with dissolve into the water and make it very hard. The sharp edges would be a problem as well.

If you want shells I'm sure you could find fake, plastic shells that look like they come from oceanic snails. Those should be smooth enough not to damage the betta's fins.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #4 
Emparios

Thank you ^-^
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote