Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #1 
Greener

Red face bettapalooza

Hello all.
I am new to bettas and fish in general. i have a 20 gal tank with two betta Gus(red/white Crowntail) and Chester(black/blue delta i think not sure) i will hopefully have pictures soon. i have them devided with a clear devider and a peice of aquarium backing because they would stop flaring at each other, its a temporarty fix till i find soemthing better. I also have a bubble wall at the back of the tank now i have read that bettas dont like those but the current in low and chester seems to like riding up the bubbles(i think hes a little brain dead). i was wondering the best type of filter to use because i am planning on getting more fish soon. also chester has been opening his mouth underwater i dont know if this is normal but some sites said it could be water conditions. ive changed the water alot conditioning it as i go. Is too much conditioner bad? Also chesters fins look a little torn it doesnt seem to be getting worse but not better. Your help is appreciated
Greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #2 
Cody

1) Sponge filters are best for bettas. Next would be canisters IMO, or low-flow HOBS.
2) Opening his mouth could mean anything... we need to know your water parameters.
3) Too much conditioning is bad.
4) Please post your water parameters.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #3 
Greener

thanks for the help unfotunately i dont have a testing kit getting it tonight. ill post then. Also there is a white film not sure what it is i think it has something to do with the fact i dont have a light? which im also getting tonight
Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #4 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
API liquid test kit is your best bet due to accuracy. Where is the white film situated?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #5 
Greener

Ok so ive changed some things up but could still use some help with water parameters i have one betta in a small tank and another betta with 2 mollies and 2 tetras in my 20 gal. I bought the API 5 in one test kit and did it and heres my results
GH- 0-30
KH- 240+
PH- 8.5-9
NO2- 0
NO3- 0-20

Hope this helps you help me lol
Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #6 
Cody

You didn't get the liquid kit... You need a liquid kit in order for us to know your correct levels. Strips are completely inaccurate.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote