Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #1 
FishyFloorzack

Question What's the difference with filters?

So i'm getting a 10 gallon tank and looking for filters. I'm on petsmart and this chart came up and it said, internal, power, and canister? Can someone shed some light on this? Thank you!! Also if anyone can recommend for a 10 gallon tank

Last edited by FishyFloorzack; 07-08-2013 at 10:33 PM.
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #2 
sarahspins

Hands down I'd recommend an Aquaclear 20 or 30.

Personally I use canister filters on almost all of my tanks (the exceptions are a 2.5g for my son's mystery snail with an Azoo Mignion and an AC20 running in a 10g so I could put plants in the filter) but the aquaclear filters are kind of the best aspects of using a canister but in the form of a HOB since it doesn't use those silly replacement carbon pads and you can customize the media in the filter (adding more bio filtration, and keeping out the chemical filtration, which isn't really necessary unless you're clearing medication from the water), which gives you much better biological filtration for the size of the filter compared to most others.

Canisters are great but they can often have too much flow for a betta tank, in addition to being much more expensive.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #3 
Beckylovesbettas

I bought a 10 gallon set yesterday for my son's baby goldfish and it came with an internal filter with the disposable cartridge, it works great so far but I think it would be too powerful for a betta tank. The betta I just bought is in a 2 1/2 gallon with no filter (will do 2x per week water changes), just a heater and thermometer. I have read that in a smaller tank the filters bother the bettas. if I ever setup a 10 or 20 gallon divided tank I will use a filter, probably a canister.

Last edited by Beckylovesbettas; 07-09-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Beckylovesbettas is offline   Reply With Quote