Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #1 
RedCassette

Blind Betta: Advice?

A while back I posted a thread here about Nevermore, one of my HMs, going blind. I wasn't sure what to do with him in regards to proper care, and while I received some tips, none have really helped.

He's still blind, and I still have him. He's been building nests, however, he is almost entirely unable to eat due to his inability to find food. I was told to scent his pellets with garlic juice. I tried it, but it hasn't helped at all.

At this point in time I'm very worried about him passing on. He makes occasional bubble nests, but otherwise seems in poor spirits and typically floats around the bottom of the tank.

I want to adopt him out to someone who could take better care of him, as I don't have enough knowledge to deal with his disability--problem is, I'm not really sure how to go about this. I don't really have many other betta-fanatics in the area, at least that I know of.

ANY tips at this point would be helpful, however please keep in mind that the temperature, water, tank structure (I keep it the same so he gets used to where things are) are fine. He is not sick. The scales around his eyes have grown over them; I think some people refer to this as "diamond eye."
RedCassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #2 
EmmaJay

I have a blind betta too. I feed him frozen bloodworms only. I really wish I could give him pellets but he never finds them. The only thing that has worked for me is feeding him frozen bloodworms by placing them on his betta hammock. I think by placing them in the same spot everyday helps because he knows where to find them now and the hammock prevents them from sinking and getting lost among the gravel.
I also am not super experienced so maybe someone else will have some better ideas!
Good luck with your betta.
EmmaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #3 
RedCassette

Thanks, Emma! I'll try that. The main issue is he won't come up to the surface to even try looking for his food. I've tried tapping the water to get his attention but he's just too oblivious.
RedCassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #4 
EmmaJay

Hmm, my guy swims blindly all over the place lol. But at first he didn't know where the food was so I would basically shove the blood worm at his face. Eventually he would snap at it. Then I started leaving them on his hammock. He doesn't always eat them right away, obviously, but he does find them now.
Maybe you could cup your betta and try leaving some worms in there and give him some time to eat them. Do that for a few days. Then start putting the worms in a place in the tank that he spends a lot of time in.
I think feeding in the same spot everyday really helps them figure it out faster :)
EmmaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #5 
BittyB

Maybe handfeeding him to where you can touch a bloodworm to his mouth?

I was feeding my betta a pellet stuck with the end of a chopstick since he wasnt really confident the first few days. Mine is not blind, but I would imagine if yours feels something on his mouth he might snap at it and then realize it's food.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, blind, care, tips