Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #1 
JennNP

First Plant!

Went with Java Fern. Was able to get this one (which I think is pretty good) for $4. I also ended up with an Apple Snail and a shrimp, which I'm 90% sure is an Amano. Why can't I walk into the fish store and only buy what I came in for??

I eventually would like to replace all my fake plants with real ones. Any ideas of good, hard-to-kill plants I can add? My tank set up was bought used and I have no idea what the wattage is on the light. Also, super low maintenance plants are a plus (e.g. no CO2 adding)
Attached Images

JennNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #2 
paris38

Marmio moss balls(sp) and java moss are supposed to be very hardy and should work for your conditions. You can either float java moss or tie it on to something and marmio moss balls just sit at the bottom of the tank. Also if you like floating plants you could try duckweed but most people don't like it because it is very hard to get rid of and can overtake your tank, but I think it is pretty.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #3 
JennNP

I was looking into java moss and decided I preferred it to the moss balls. I was looking forward to getting some and adding some greenery to the bottom of my tank. Unfortunately, my local pet store said they get their java moss from a local supplier and the supplier hasn't been in a while. I'll check out the duckweed. These fake plants I have in now just can't compare to the real stuff!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #4 
BittyB

You can look into other easy plants like anubias. I got a Anubia Barteri Broad Leaf and that thing is taking off with no effort....with the stock LED lights and no ferts and attaching itself to a piece of driftwood.

Are you gonna have any substrate put in or you just wanting to stick to those marbles? Some plants require to root in while others don't.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Amazon sword does fine in a medium to low light environment also.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #6 
JennNP

Bitty- I have gravel then some marbles on top. By substrate are you talking about some sort of moss? I really know next to nothing about planted tanks : ). I was looking into Anubia, they had Anubia Nana there. It was $10 for a tiny tiny plant. I was too afraid I'd just kill it and decided to go with something cheaper.

OrangeAugust- I looked at Amazon Sword, it looks similar to the Java Fern. If I can find some I may pick it up. I'd like some coherence in this tank. Right now it's a mismatch of stuff I randomly picked out cause it was "pretty" haha.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #7 
JennNP

Oh, and do any of you with plants in your tanks have Apple Snails? My snail was bought as an "Algae Eating Snail" but after some research I'm pretty sure he's an Apple Snail. According to a website I was reading some species of Apple Snails are voracious eaters who can destroy your tank in a matter of days.

To my inexperienced eye, I believe based on his shell, my Apple Snail is a type who will only eat live plants if there's nothing else to eat and prefers artificial food.

I'm just curious if anyone has had issues with Apple Snails? I woke up to my snail on my Java Fern, but he doesn't seem to be eating so hopefully he wont be the reason my plant doesn't make it!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #8 
lovefordebbie
Banned

rhododendrons.
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #9 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNP View Post
Oh, and do any of you with plants in your tanks have Apple Snails? My snail was bought as an "Algae Eating Snail" but after some research I'm pretty sure he's an Apple Snail. According to a website I was reading some species of Apple Snails are voracious eaters who can destroy your tank in a matter of days.

To my inexperienced eye, I believe based on his shell, my Apple Snail is a type who will only eat live plants if there's nothing else to eat and prefers artificial food.

I'm just curious if anyone has had issues with Apple Snails? I woke up to my snail on my Java Fern, but he doesn't seem to be eating so hopefully he wont be the reason my plant doesn't make it!
You more than likely have a pomacea bridgesii/difffusa snail , aka Mystery Snail aka "apple snail" because ACTUAL apple snails (Pomacea canaliculata) are considered invasive and are illegal to sell interstate.

ACTUAL apple snails (canas) are indeed voracious plant eaters and would turn a planted tank into dinner in no time. Mystery snails, however, are scavengers and only eat *live* plants if no other food is provided. They prefer to feast on dead/dying plant matter, algae (they're better at this when they're younger), fallen fish food, fresh veggies (mine used to love spinach & romaine lettuce) and gross things they find in the substrate, which to answer you other question, just means whatever you have covering the bottom of your tank, ie gravel, marbles, sand, etc

They also poop a lot so get ready for regular gravel siphonings.
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #10 
JennNP

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease! I got a shrimp in hopes of balancing out the extra waste, but I haven't even seen him on the bottom of the tank yet. I will be keeping up with gravel cleaning. As of now I have a turkey baster but will probably upgrade to a vacuum soon. I'm awful with the baster and practically spit out all that I manage to suck up!