Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #1 
nezumionna

betta floating vertically, dying?

I understand that he is probably long gone, if he is still here in a couple hours I am going to try and get medicine. I dont know what would cause this. Hes always been fairly active. I noticed this about an hour ago. I also noticed that the tips of his fins are turning red. Hes never had any color to him, other than the red, the color on him is just kind of reflected.
I mainly want to know if I did something wrong. Weve had him for about two months.
Attached Images

nezumionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #2 
whatsupyall

Looks underfed. Basically poor diet or poor health, possibly to begin with. With this base as background, your betta is more prone to sickness and diseases, which eventually leads to this current state of being. This is another good reason to stop supporting petstores who don't take care of their bettas. Good luck and I hope your betta recovers.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #3 
nezumionna

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupyall View Post
Looks underfed. Basically poor diet or poor health, possibly to begin with. With this base as background, your betta is more prone to sickness and diseases, which eventually leads to this current state of being. This is another good reason to stop supporting petstores who don't take care of their bettas. Good luck and I hope your betta recovers.
Okay, so would being underfed cause the discoloration as well? Obviously I dont really know what I am doing sadly. ive had bettas before but all either lived ridiculously long or died of obvious causes (i.e my baby sister dumping the whole thing of food into the tank) I have done what I was told to do, as far as feeding and cleaning, which I understand could have been completely inaccurate. I am also assuming that flakes werent the #1 choice in betta food?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #4 
lovefordebbie
Banned

my betta was floating vertically. i was only giving him pellets. i bought varities of food and fed him all varities in small portions and he is back to normal
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #5 
lovefordebbie
Banned

also try training and excercise.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

More information is needed to help you. What sized tank? Water Temp? Water change schedule, how much water changed? Do you use a water conditioner, if so which one? Is the tank filtered? Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? If you can't test the water I would do a 50%+ water change with temp matched, conditioned water to see if that helps at all. If he doesn't have a heater he needs one, they're water should be 78-80F ideally.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #7 
lovefordebbie
Banned

mine lives in a bowl and hes very healthy.. no diseases or anything. its better than him being in a cup to die..
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefordebbie View Post
mine lives in a bowl and hes very healthy.. no diseases or anything. its better than him being in a cup to die..
OK, but that has nothing to do with this op's question or concerns.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #9 
nezumionna

Before I left the house he seemed to be floating corrected. All could do at the time was chamge his water. Im going to pick up some stuff and see of it helps as well. I am unsure of the temps I am unsure of but it isnt too cold to me. And he is in a .5 g, which I know now is probably too small.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #10 
lovefordebbie
Banned

had something to do with yours c: