Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #1 
0TK421

Hello! Meet my new Betta friend!

Meet Marshmallow! Isn't he just the cutest thing? I went to Petco "just to look" (you all know how that goes) and he just called to me. He's a delta tail and I think you'd call his color white? or is he a pastel? He has a definite pink luster to him and some light black markings on his bottom fin as well. Does he look healthy?

I suppose I should introduce myself as well? I'm Katie (wave). I owned another Betta who died last year. His name was Admiral Ackbar and he was the first fish I ever owned so there was a bit of a learning curve. The poor thing got torn up pretty good on some plastic plants that the petsmart employee recommended and so his fins were pretty shredded for most of his life but I did my best to rehabilitate him and he did alright and lived for over a year. I'm determined to do better this time around.

Since my new addition wasn't all that planned I had to run and order a decent tank when I got home (I threw my old 1.5 gal acrylic tank out, it was pretty cloudy) so the poor thing will have to spend a week more in his cup. I have him up in my bathroom, though, where it never gets cold and I'll have to change his water out a few times. Right now he seems to be fine, he gets real excited whenever I come to visit him and swims around and wiggles his fins. He doesn't seem to have much of an appetite though...maybe he's stressed?

For my soon-to-be setup I got a 3 gal glass tank with a filter and light. I got an adjustable heater with a built in thermometer, some glass rocks and a little hidey hole, though I ordered the cave online, I might have to return it if it seems too rough. He's currently eating (or, rather, not eating) the food I already had on hand, which is some kind of flakes mixed with freeze dried bloodworms made for bettas.

When I get him settled in his tank setup I was planning on trying out a few small tank mates. I asked the girl at petco and she thought a few guppies or baby mollies would be best, she said no more than 3 total fish should be added with the Betta...is this a good assessment? It sounded like too many for a 3 gal tank. I thought maybe just one small molly might be good, but honestly I don't know much about other fish needs, will they eat the same food and be happy with a warmer temp? I don't wanna do the snail thing again, they just breed and overrun the tank.

Thanks for any advice you can give me! I'm fairly well acquainted with the basics so anything above and beyond would be helpful. I was also eyeing the baby bettas at petco...perhaps a second tank is in order...
0TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #2 
lovefordebbie
Banned

3 to a 3 gal? it depends on the kinds of fish, they might have 3 totally different needs.
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 
LittleDeer

I wouldn't put more than maybe one invertebrate (like shrimp or snail) in with a Betta in a 3 gallon. Its too small for much else. If you get a Nerite snail, it would do just fine and they can't breed in fresh water. Mollies need brackish water, (meaning on the salty side) and get rather big, so I wouldn't put a mollie in anything less than a five gallon by itself, but with other fish, I'd probably keep a mollie in a ten gallon. Ghost shrimp are really fun little guys to watch, I definitely reccommend them. You could probably put one or even two in the 3 gallon. Just make sure you get large ones or your Betta may make a snack out of them. That's really all a 3 gallon would have room for, in my opinion.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #4 
lovefordebbie
Banned

that fish is beautiful
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #5 
countyrd419

I like his name it fits him perfectly. Good choice.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #6 
Shine

I like the color you chosen. He's a beauty.
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #7 
0TK421

Thanks guys!
0TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #8 
TheTrojanBetta

He's very pretty and his name is just too cute! Perfect for his kind of fluffy looking fins.
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Marshmallow is very pretty! I like his name, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote