Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #1 
tbtregenza

New Betta Owner - Is he/she dying?

Just started a betta bowl (1.5 gallon I think). I have placed a aqua fern from petco (not sure on quality - seems very suspect) and some gravel in his bowl.

I have three cheap petco "Betta Bulbs" attempting to sprout on my windowsill in a glass with paper towel. So far, no green sprouts. Getting concerned.

I was hoping the betta would sleep in the acqua fern but he sleeps on the ground near the thermometer. I had a fake plant in there before and he slept in it but I heard those are bad for these fish.

What can I do to make him sleep in the fern? Will the bulbs work in this tank? Why are they not sprouting?

Any advice is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Here is my setup:
tbtregenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

You can't make him sleep somewhere he doesn't want to. Fake plants are only bad for a Betta if they can snag the fins. Silk plants are usually the best thing as far as fake goes. I think you are going to have some trouble getting plants to grow in the bowl. I've not had good luck with the fern you have & the leaves seem rough to me. I have never attempted the bulbs, I've heard VERY mixed reviews on them. Personally, I would go with silk plants & supply him with a cave. He looks very clamped up, what is the water temp? I see a thermometer but no heater, the temp looks like it may be in the low 70's (??). How long have you had him? How often are you doing water changes, how big are they? Are you using a water conditioner?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #3 
tbtregenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
You can't make him sleep somewhere he doesn't want to. Fake plants are only bad for a Betta if they can snag the fins. Silk plants are usually the best thing as far as fake goes. I think you are going to have some trouble getting plants to grow in the bowl. I've not had good luck with the fern you have & the leaves seem rough to me. I have never attempted the bulbs, I've heard VERY mixed reviews on them. Personally, I would go with silk plants & supply him with a cave. He looks very clamped up, what is the water temp? I see a thermometer but no heater, the temp looks like it may be in the low 70's (??). How long have you had him? How often are you doing water changes, how big are they? Are you using a water conditioner?
Thanks for reply - I have had him for about 2.5 weeks now. I have changed his water once to twice a week. He has no heater right now but I just bought a small one for tanks up to 1.5 gallons on Amazon. I read they like temp between 77 and 80, and he IS living in currently low to mid 70's water.

Do you think that could be the issue?

I bought a small silk plant for him and a turkey baster to remove impurities between water changes. He is probably no more than 1.5 inches long right now. I have used the water conditioner whenever putting in new water. I also have been putting in that "Betta Revive" stuff to try to get him healthy again. About 5 drops when I feed him.

I use Brita-filtered tap water that I allow to get to room temp before putting in (by leaving in an bowl overnight next to him).

I also just bought him one of those little stick-on betta "leaf" hammocks.

He (I think?) was a house warming gift so he took us by surprise a little - have been playing "catch-up" on his accommodations.

EDIT: I also have been feeding him those frozen brine shrimp (after thawing). He is not taking well to those betta "Bio Gold" pellets (he spits them out!)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #4 
mybabyjets

the leaf hammok has metal in it, you can take the wire out or it will rust in the tank, and thats bad for the fish
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #5 
Namialus

He should have a larger tank and a heater will get him to be more active. They need their temps around 78-80.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #6 
tbtregenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namialus View Post
He should have a larger tank and a heater will get him to be more active. They need their temps around 78-80.
Unfortunately I cannot offer him a bigger home so the plan is to make his current home as pleasant as possible. I am definitely going to address the temperature issue. I am also looking to see if there are any good small-bowl filters.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #7 
mybabyjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtregenza View Post
Unfortunately I cannot offer him a bigger home so the plan is to make his current home as pleasant as possible. I am definitely going to address the temperature issue. I am also looking to see if there are any good small-bowl filters.
could you try taking the wire out of the leaf? it killed one of my fish because the wire rusted and i didnt know
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #8 
tbtregenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyjets View Post
could you try taking the wire out of the leaf? it killed one of my fish because the wire rusted and i didnt know
Absolutely! I will definitely remove the wire.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

[quote=tbtregenza;2506393]Thanks for reply - I have had him for about 2.5 weeks now. I have changed his water once to twice a week. He has no heater right now but I just bought a small one for tanks up to 1.5 gallons on Amazon. I read they like temp between 77 and 80, and he IS living in currently low to mid 70's water.

Do you think that could be the issue? Temp is part of the issue, so great that you're addressing that. Keep a close eye on whichever heater you purchased. The pre-set heaters sometimes don't work as they should so just keep an eye on the temp.

I bought a small silk plant for him and a turkey baster to remove impurities between water changes. He is probably no more than 1.5 inches long right now. I have used the water conditioner whenever putting in new water. I also have been putting in that "Betta Revive" stuff to try to get him healthy again. About 5 drops when I feed him.
A few silk plants & a cave will be great, they don't like being so exposed. I've never used Betta Revive so I can't comment on it effectiveness.

I use Brita-filtered tap water that I allow to get to room temp before putting in (by leaving in an bowl overnight next to him).
I would use regular tap water but I'm not sure it would make too much difference since your water isn't going through an elaborate filtering system
I also just bought him one of those little stick-on betta "leaf" hammocks.
Most Bettas love those, as someone else stated you'll want to remove the wire if there is one as it can rust & cause problems.

He (I think?) was a house warming gift so he took us by surprise a little - have been playing "catch-up" on his accommodations.
You're not alone, most of us didn't know what we were doing when we purchased our first Betts.
EDIT: I also have been feeding him those frozen brine shrimp (after thawing). He is not taking well to those betta "Bio Gold" pellets (he spits them out!)
I would recommend New Life Spectrum (NLS) or Omega One pellets, Brine Shrimp is good but I don't think its meant to be their main diet. NLS are smaller than Omega One & most Bettas will not say no to them.[/quote]

..... Oh, in a bowl that size you'll want to do at a minimum 2 water changes per week & I wouldn't worry about a filter it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #10 
countyrd419

Good afternoon tbtregenza, If you ever want to upgrade to a tank, sometimes the thrift stores where you live such as <Goodwill> usually have some donated tanks that you can clean with warm water and use it for your betta. Welcome to our community too. We are all here for you
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote