Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #1 
Kittiesdragons

5 gallon tank mates?

Are there any fish that could join a Betta in a five gallon? I feel like it's just... too big LOL. I may split it if there aren't any other fish types that would work. I was kind of thinking of getting some Guppies but I feel like those would need more room.
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #2 
Namialus

If you had a ten gallon, maybe you could add a fish companion.. Well you could divide it and add another betta but doing that in a 5 gallon seems too small... hmmm... perhaps a snail?
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu

To add tankmates you need plants and hiding places. An Amano shrimp might be good or three male Dwarf Panda Guppies. They are about half the size of regular guppies. The breeder I bought mine from said while a 5-gallon wasn't good for regular guppies, it suited the three to five inch-long Pandas just fine. With the Betta, I'd say three would be plenty.

Or, you could get a Nerite snail. They are very pretty and there's lots of different shell patterns.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #4 
LittleDeer

A shrimp or two would be fun:) You could also try out an African Dwarf Frog.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #5 
Laki

I would get shrimp or those dwarf guppies. African dwarf frogs like to be in pairs/trios and often carry disease that will make tank mates sick.

A 5 gallon does seem too large for one betta but I packed mine with live plants and added a nerite snail (only add a nerite if you have a steady supply of algae. None of the nerites I tried ate anything but real algae and biofilm)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #6 
Kittiesdragons

Awww I'd never heard of dwarf guppies before! They are so little and cute! I'll have to see how my new guy settles in first before I decide whether I want to add anyone else. :) But if I do I may have to go for the mini guppies I just...I can't resist them!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

I always thought bettas were prone to attacking guppies because they are colorful like bettas.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #8 
Kittiesdragons

Hmmm that's a good point... Jadablu... I forgot about that. What about dwarf cory cats? They are pretty cute... would a small shoal be too much?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu

Pandas are dark blue and not flashy like fancy guppies; just too cute to live. They should be fine.

Dwarf cories are sensitive to changing water parameters and they do best on sand because of their barbels.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #10 
Rilly10

5 gallons is too small for a shoal of cories alone, even without the betta. In a 5 gallon one betta is best. Maybe a nerite snail and a few shrimp (RCS or Amanos) but that is is in my opinion. As for the tank feeling big or empty I would add plants or decorations. I have one betta in my 10 gallon alone with tons of plants and it doesn't look boring or empty to me at all.My betta swims all over the 10 gallons. I think dividing a 5 would be way to small. If you want other fish or to divide I would upgrade to a 10 gallon.
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote