Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #1 
ryancalif

Exclamation Co-medicating: Jungle Fungus Cure + Jungle Parasite Clear?

It's crisis mode with my betta: she's going on 9 days now sick with either a bacterial infection or parasitic infection. I really can't decide which one it is...

- Very lethargic
- Not eating (and hasn't for 9 days)
- Popeye in one eye
- Skin on popeye side of face is 'knarled' looking, looks like a sore, lifted scales, white tips, puffed out etc
- Tummy slightly bloated (not pineconing)

I'm treating her in Jungle Fungus Clear right now (she has been in it for 2 days) with a water temperature of 80-84 degrees. 1 tablespoon of epsom salt for 4 gallon tank.

She is a tough fish, but I feel like time is running out. I wish I could treat for both parasitic and bacterial at once as I do have the Jungle Parasite clear tablets. Any ideas if this is safe or not?
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #2 
lovefordebbie
Banned

i don't think so, but some more experienced members might tell you otherwise
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #3 
NickZac

What are the ingredients? Some of the meds in the big box stores are exceptionally harsh relative to some of the newer medications and not nearly as effective. Parasite/protozoa meds such as metronidazole, prazi, quinine, and acriflavine are very safe to combine with antibiotics but meds such as formalin, dylox 80, PP, copper, or malachite green can be extremely harsh due to high toxicity.

As for antibiotic selection, you want to be sure the antibiotic is as wide of spectrum as possible if you are not sure what it is.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #4 
Bloeduwedd

I would use only one at a time, personally. Choose the most severe problem and deal with that agressively while continuing conservative treatement for anything else. In my experience, Popeye responds well to conservative treatement. Best part is that Epsom Salt treats both Popeye and bloating (if bloating is caused by overfeeding). Has your betta pooped since he stopped eating? I've never dealt with symptoms like you describe around the popeye, so I'm no help there. Lethargy could be because he's feeling so sick.
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, you can combine Jungle Fungus Clear, Jungle Parasite Clear and Epsom salt.
  • Jungle Fungus Clear contains Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone, Potassium Dichromate. (Antibiotics and an oxidizing salt.)
  • Jungle Parasite Clear contains Praziquantel, Diflubenzuron, Metronidazole, Acriflavine. (Antiparasiticals.)
  • Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate. (Fluid reducer/laxative.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #6 
ryancalif

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately, she passed away tonight.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm sorry for your loss.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote