Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #1 
Kj101712

Betta with dropsy

Hello,

My betta has dropsy, I noticed he was pineconing and had a lump on his right side. I did some treatments with salt and pimafix for about a week now I am only doing salt. That was about 3 weeks ago the pineconing and lump on the right side are now gone but his stomach is bloated (it was not 3 weeks ago this is new). He is pooping so i dont think its due to constipation.Is this a sign of anything? Does the fact that the pineconing and lump are gone mean something good?

I know dropsy is very very hard to get rid of, I do frequent water changes and I know he might not make it but I still want to try :)

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Kj101712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Fill this out-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Stop using salt... You want to use pure Epsom salts at 1tsp/g to draw out the fluid... I can help more when you provide the above info :)
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #3 
Kj101712

Here are the answers to the questions about my tank:

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin blood worms and betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day for 6 days out of the week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25/50 for one and 100 for the other
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated belly, no longer pineconing, dulled colours and clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sits at bottom of his tank, won't swim and when he does swim its very strained.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? One
Month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Pimafix and aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year

I can't find Epsom salts anywhere though! To clarify I'm not using table salt or anything it is aquarium salt.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #4 
Kj101712

Any ideas on where I could get Epsom salt? I have no large pet stores here. Just a small place and they have no Epsom salt.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #5 
NickZac

PimaFix and MelaFix are pretty much useless and potentially harmful. Neither do anything for dropsy or virtually any conditions that affect fish.

If this is true abdominal dropsy, kanamycin sulfate and vitamin B6 is the standard treatment. Kanamycin and doxycycline with B6 has recently become popular due to many reports of better outcomes. However, if you've gotten to the three week point since symptoms presented, there is at least a chance this is not dropsy. Did the fish also display any changes to eyes such as both eyes protruding more than normal (sometimes called "popeye')? Pics would be very useful.

Long-term and medium-term use of aquarium salt can also sometimes cause conditions thought to be dropsy, as can certain GI issues and parasites that cause severe bloating. Sometimes, other environmental factors can affect this as well.

Regardless of whether this is dropsy or not, you need to test the water. Dropsy often begins with problems in water quality, and if water parameters are bad, the fish will either stay sick or get sick again down the road. Hence before using any treatment, environmental conditions must be ruled out.

Is your tank fully cycled?
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #6 
Kj101712

I have no way of getting any other medications for my fish :/ I live in a small town and we only have a tiny local pet store. What stores can these medications and Epsom salts be found at as well as anything I can use to test the water?

I also don't have anything to test the water with this is another problem I have.

The symptoms he started with were a lump on one side of his body, it stayed for weeks and then that one side started to pinecone. Shortly after the other side of his body also began to pinecone. I haven't noticed a change in his eyes at all. I have noticed that the lump has gone away and been replaced with just the bloated belly. The bloated belly only happened after all the other symptoms.

I will stop using salts and see if he improves, maybe that is causing a problem.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #7 
Emparios

Epsom salt can be found in CVS pharmacy, target, walmart, and even at dollar tree. It's not just for fish, though, so you would find it in the health/beauty aisle or somewhere where they keep stuff for baths.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I also found this article about it:
http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/dropsy/

It says that epsom baths are inconsistant, but many others recommend them.

Last edited by Emparios; 07-09-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #8 
Kj101712

Thank you! I will go see if I can get some Epsom salt tomorrow at Walmart. :) also, what would be the best site to use to upload a picture? I have tried before but the pictures would not show up. I believe I was using photobucket last time. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #9 
Kj101712

Oops! Not photobucket. Tinypic!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #10 
Emparios

Your welcome! I hope your betta pulls through ^-^
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, bloated, dropsy, pineconing, sick