Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #11 
Kj101712

Thank you! And thanks to everyone else for their replies too!
Kj101712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #12 
Kj101712

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:8.4
Hardness:300
Alkalinity: 180

Okay as for Epsom salts! I picked up equate Epsom salts at Walmart it says they have magnesium sulfate is this the stuff I need?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #13 
Emparios

Magnesium sulfate is just the scientific name for epsom salts ^-^

I read in this thread that Betta's can tolerate a hardness between 5-20 dH or 70-300 GH ppm and a pH range of 6-8. Adding epsom salts will make the water even harder, which would also increase the pH, but since he's might be adapted to the water, it might be ok.

I'm no expert, though (I've just been using google >.<), so I would wait for someone who's more experienced to advise you on the water paramater thing.
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #14 
LittleDeer

Before using the epsom salt, make sure it is ONLY magnesium sulfate without anything else added. Some epsom salts have added things since people use it for baths and soaks usually. It should say "Active Ingredients: Magnesium Sulfate...100% on the package."
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #15 
Kj101712

Thank you!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #16 
Kj101712

Hmm :/ I've searched all over the container but it doesn't say anything about the active ingredients but it doesn't say anything is added to it either.

From the top it says the following:
Epsom salts magnesium sulfate usp
For relaxing mineral baths
Then it gives directions, as has yor usual warning about not eating it and import info.

Is this okay? These are the only Epsom salts Walmart had and I don't thinks there's any place else I can find them here :S if it doesn't say anything else is added they should be okay right?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, you have the correct Epsom salt.... Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate.

Can you post a photo, so we can see exactly what he looks like?

Matt and Nick gave you good advice. If this was my fish, I would start by using Epsom salt. If he doesn't show improvement within 2 days, or if the bloating gets worse while using the Epsom salt, I'd try to determine if the issue was caused by parasites or a bacterial illness.

What does his poop look like? Is it "normal?"

If this was my fish.... since he has dropsy, I'd increase the Epsom salt dosage by 0.5 teaspoons/gal every 12 hours, until you reach a maximum of 2 teaspoons per gallon. Then, I'd increase by 0.5 teaspoons per day, until you reach a maximum of 3 teaspoons per gallon. I'd also do frequent water changes, which will remove toxins, as well as some bacteria or parasites that may be causing problems.

Notes:
1) Epsom salt doesn't "evaporate." It stays in the water until you remove it (via a water change.)
2) If you have questions on how to obtain the correct dose at different times, just ask! Someone can post instructions on ways to do this.
3) Make sure the salt is completely dissolved before adding it to the tank. (Or adding him back into the tank.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #18 
Kj101712

What can I use to post a photo? I'm using my phone but any photo sharing site I've ever used does not seem to work on here, any suggestions?

I just cleaned the tank so I will get back to you on the poop, if I remember correctly they usually look dark brown or greenish but ill have to take a closer look to make sure first.

I have started only putting a gallon and a half in his tank instead of 3 so that he can get to the surface easier as it was quite the distance from the top for the poor little guy.

And thank you for the advice on the dosage and cleaning, I think I will try that and see how it goes!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you cover the tank with plastic food wrap, it will increase the humidity level of the air. This will make it easier for him to breathe, and has a calming effect. (Be sure to leave several inches of air.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #20 
Kj101712

Okay so it looks as though he is starting to pinecone again. Ive started the epsoms salts and his poop appears to be a dark brown or dark greenish kid of colour.

Tags
betta, bloated, dropsy, pineconing, sick