Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #1 
megphimu22

Exclamation New Betta Question!

Ok, so I got a new betta on Thursday. He has been doing great; he's slowly becoming less timid and always comes to the front of the tank when he sees me. The problem is he's not eating. I have tried TetraColor Tropical Flakes (it's what my other betta eats) and a few rehydrated freeze dried brine shrimp. He acts like he's hungry and excited when I put the food in and he takes one, spits it out, takes a shrimp and acts like he's eating it, then spits it out. It's a repetitive cycle and I'm scared he won't get the right nutrition. I also tried the Tetra flakes that came with the tank as well as pellets I had from a previous betta. Nothing works. I am going to order a new filter off Petco and I was wondering what foods yall had success with. I'll try anything! I want to make sure he eats. He looks like a younger betta to me (he's pretty small) and I want him to grow and get bigger like my other one! (My other betta LOVES to eat, he eats a lot).

Now here's the info you have been wanting to ask through the whole post: :)
2.5 gallon tank with 2 fake plants and 2 places to "hide"
Temperature- goes between 78 & 82
Neutral pH
Negative for nitrates & nitrites
Soft water
Negative for ammonia

If I left anything off just ask! I haven't done water changes since I just got him Thursday (the tank had been cycling for about a week). The thing is, he acts hungry and goes for the food but it must not taste good since he spits it all out. Any food suggestions would be great!
megphimu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #2 
JingleAllTheWay

You could try betta pellets...but those might be too big. I had a rough time with my betta when I first got him. It was like the pellets were too big for his mouth or something. I started cutting them in half and he still didn't eat a lot. It seemed like once he got fully used to the tank he started eating fine. I know there are very small pellets you can buy like at Walmart or I'm sure another pet store. I tried flakes, but my betta didn't do very well with them for some reason.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas can be very picky eaters. I use Hikari betta bio gold. You could try crushing the pellets into smaller pieces if you think the pellets are too big for his little mouth. Sometimes bettas don't eat for the first few days. It may just take a little time for him to get used to his new home.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #4 
myfish,Fish

Hi
My betta fish, Fish just died this march break. I gave him a nice funeral because I am christan so I buried him. I want to get a new betta and I don't know if another fish would be a good idea. You know those litte white catfish, I want to put one of those in with him to kinda pick up the food he leaves behind. Would that be a good idea.
My fish lived approximately 20 months including time at the breeders and the store. I know this because most bettas in the store are 6 to 8 months old my fish lived a full year with me.
myfish,Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #5 
myfish,Fish

My fish Fish died this March break . I gave him a nice funeral and buried him. Now I want a new fish and I want to put a little white catfish in with him. Would that be a good idea? I was hoping the catfish could clean the food he doesn't eat. Fish lived to be approximately 20 months old. Including time at the breeders and the store. He lived 12 months with me.
myfish,Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #6 
Fishcricker

The Hikari betta gold bits are a smaller size food, so he may be able to eat them.
Fishcricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #7 
gardfish

Question Scummy Water

Hi,

I am new to this site and am looking for some answers to why my one of my Betta fish is making bubbles in the tank and also making the top of the water scummy? I have another Betta in a different tank and this Betta does not do this.

Betta #1 is not as colorful, nor are the fins as fluffy. This Betta is in a square, open top bowl with an artificial single lilly in it. At first I thought I was over feeding, but I don't believe that to be the case now.

Betta # 2 is more colorful, fins are fuller and in a circular ring bowl with nothing other than colored rock in the bottom. This Betta eats great, swims a lot and does not make the bubbles or scum.

Any suggestions or comments?
gardfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a betta that had trouble eating when I first got him but after awhile, he was able to eat them with no problem. I have no idea what they feed them at the petstores but maybe they aren't used to pellets.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello gardfish and welcome to the forum. The bubbles you are seeing are normal. Bettas build bubblenests. It usually means that they are happy and healthy.Its best to have bettas in 2 1/2 gallon tanks with heaters and filters. If they are kept in smaller containers, then they need water changes 1-2 times a week. If the water quality is not kept up with, then they will be more prone to diseases.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #10 
Livelifelaughlove

My betta, sushi, didnt seem to eat for the first 2 weeks. He wasn't overly shy, but he wouldn't eat. I was afraid that he would starve, so i fed him only a little at a time and just left it in there. Eventually he just began eating. Same with my little one. yours is probably doing the same thing. Either he isn't settled yet so isn't hungry, or won't eat while you watch him... good luck! I am sure he will be ok. just remember, you have to give him some time
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote